Can't figure it out....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erich K

In Runtime
So, My computer one day started doing this: I turn it on and everything seems to turn on. But the mouse optical lights don't come on, the monitor doesn't come on and the computer doesn't boot for like 30 seconds. It's like the hard drive is taking that long to turn on. I've tried it with another hard drive and it did the same thing so it can't be the hard drive going bad. Maybe bad powersupply, Motherboard or cables? Anyone else ever had this problem?

Specs: Hewlett Packard

160gb Seagate HD
1024mg Ram
3000+ AMD athlon XP processor
Antec 400 watt power supply
And VIA chipsety i beleive.

If you need to know anything else or have a suggestion/idea let me know. Really need help. It's taking up to a minite to startup now.

Anyone think it could be the Power Supply? Just a guess, but I know that if the dust gets built up on the fan in those suckers it can overheat, maybe slowing it down...

JKnPA said:
Leon....
You may have too many programs running at 'Startup'.
Use the Run command ..... msconfig........
Uncheck programs( one/two at a time) that may be the problem........ remember which ones they are!

see link.......
http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php

Thats a differen't problem, It does NOT relate to his Booting Situation..

Leon: I would Get a DMM, and Check the Voltages comming out of your Power supply. Also, Your motherboard could be taking a dive. :/

I would Back up Any IMPORTANT data on your Harddrive ASAP, Just for safe keeping.

I would also Try disconnecting Everything but CPU, RAM and Video card from mobo and seeing how long it takes to get past POST.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom