Desktop shortcuts in XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK...to confirm, dont press R on the "Welcome to Setup" screen, but select "Repair" after I select the XP installation I want.

Thanks Warez.

Thanks Warez...backing up my files now just in case. I just got off the phone with MS XP support, they dont know what the problem is also, and also recommended a repair. I will try it now and report back. Thanks for your time!

Warez...repairing XP worked! I have my shortcuts now, thanks for your help.

Caused another problem though...before the repair, I installed IE7 Beta, was working fine. After the repair, IE7 no longer worked, got an error msg "The procedure entry point InternetGetSecurityInfoByURLW could not be located in the dynamic link library WINNET.dll". I went back into the IE7 install program and to try to unistall, but it said I had to do it through "Change remove programs under windows update", but the update was not in there to remove. I downloaded IE6 to try to use that instead, but told me there is a newer version of IE, so IE6 would not work.

Wondering if you had any ideas?

Thank you again!

you have to go to add.remove programs and uninstall IE7 Beta. Since XP originally came with IE6 the Beta no longer works after a Repair.

Go to add/remove programs and make sure that show updates is checked. IT will be toward the bottom. Restart the systme and reinstall IE7 Beta 2. From there restart again and you should be all set.

Hello Makaveli,

No IE7 Beta shown on Add/remove programs, even with UPDATES checked. Nothing for Microsoft except office updates.

Can I uninstall by other means?

Thank you.

Are you sure. It should be way at the Bottom. It should be under the Windows title. If this was the Beta 2 Public Preview it should show up.

That is what my control panel looks like. If not then i dont know what to say. It doesnt have an uninstaller. Maybe go thru the process of reinstalling IE6 from the M$ site might do the trick. Or try to re-install IE7 itself.

Thanks Makaveli. I'm positive, not shown on my add/remove programs list.

I tried re-installing IE7 and IE6, neither will work. I email Microsoft, will see what happens. I just installed Firefox in the interim...maybe I will like this better anyway.

Appreciate all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom