Unable to install Zalman fan...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffK91

In Runtime
Hi, I'm in the process of building my first computer and have installed the motherboard, video card, ram, and psu but am having SERIOUS trouble getting in this Zalman fan http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118118

Let me start off by saying I know I'm not the smartest computer builder as this is my first build but I finally gave into building my own computer when I was convinced when people here have said it should be very easy. Well, I've been working on the computer for 9 hours, have not gotten very far, my back is absolutely killing me and am just filled with stress and anxiety over this. Anyways back to the fan, I got the backplate for the AMD64 and replaced it with the one that was already beneath the mobo so far so good but when I apply the thermal grease and put the fan on top, I should screw the bolts in to both sides. I try this with the 2 tiny ones that came with the fan and they would hardly touch the nipple as they were way too small so I took those off and applied bigger screws that I had and guess what? They got stuck on the nipple and they don't seem to be coming out as when I try to screw off the screw, the nipple turns with it, thus making it impossible for me to take it out.

I am to the point where I am almost ready to give up spite how far I've gone. If ANYONE can please leave any tips on how to apply this, it would be appreciated. This is quite an emergency and have already spent far too much time on this so a quick reply would be nice, thanks in advance...

OK, take a break and continue the PC tomorrow/later on tonight. You are not going to do anything constructive in that state of mind.

OK, I haven't used the Zalman heatsink, but I would guess the ones they supplied were better suited to it. You may need to take out the motherboard to get the screws you put in, out. The heatsink will weigh quite a bit, so you would need to use the standard one and really push it in.

The Nipple is not stuck to the mobo, it is stuck on to the screw that you put on the Zalman fan on the sides. So I took out the fan, cleaned off the thermal grease but on both sides of the fan theres a golden nipple with a screw stuck on it and im not sure how to get it out, this applys to both sides.

go to zalmans website zalmanusa.com They have flash video of how to properly install the fans. As for the nipples I would maybe try a set of pliers on one side, gently of course, and then unscrew to get the screws out. After watching the video for that HS, it looks like the small screws should work. Make sure to apply enough pressure. I know the 1st build is always nerve racking relax drink a coke read some off topic stuff in the forums and get calm. Then get back at it with a level head. BTW Good luck

*Also when you screw the supplied screws to the nipples make sure to do each side a little at a time.

when you try to substitute for longer screws make sure they have the same width and thread pattern as the ones that come with a product. an almost match in screws isnt a match at all. its not hard to find screws with a matching width and thread pattern so when you GENTLY AND CAREFULLY remove the screws you used, invest a little time in finding some screws that will work. also please post more info on your parts. hard to give any useful advice when all i know is you have a fan that wont go on rite. from a quick overview of the product i cant really tell what it is supposed to be used for. have no idea what kind of mobo you are using, so dont really know if the fan is compatible. just a thought for future posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom