PC Buffs.....Need your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dominazn

Solid State Member
Posted in wrong board..........so you might see it again.

I know the basics about building a computer and I can be done. When it comes to the technical specs, I get kinda lost. Im still reading up on that stuff. But I have a quesiton for the PC nutz here.......Im trying to put together a powerful PC to basically play the games that are out now at TOP NOTCH SETTINGS.

I order this stuff lastnight from NEWEGG.com

Thermaltake Full Tower
Asus A8N-32 MoBo
AMD X2 3800+ Dual Core ( Plan on getting and FX later on down the road)
550w Powersupply
2 Gigs DDR 400 (ps3200) of unbuffered ram
eVGA 7800 GT 256mb Video Card (plan on getting a second for SLi when my wife lets me)
19' WideScreen LCD 8ms res 1400x900

Using my previous HD and DVD/CD burner for this...plan on getting a 74 gig WD Raptor HD and going RAID.

This is the main stuff you need for a PC, but then there the bells and whistle......like larger Heatsinks, Fans, Temp. displays, lights, etc. Don't need that stuff right now.....just want to be able to Play F.E.A.R, BF2, and Doom 3 and HIGHEST Settings.

So for all you PC Gamer buffs......

1. Am I going to get High setting in these games with still good FRAMERATES?
2. Anything cheap that will help the performance.
3. Something on the list that I should have gotten different, (which would cost about the same)
4. Any input would be helpful.....thx inadvance.

Dominazn said:
Posted in wrong board..........so you might see it again.

I know the basics about building a computer and I can be done. When it comes to the technical specs, I get kinda lost. Im still reading up on that stuff. But I have a quesiton for the PC nutz here.......Im trying to put together a powerful PC to basically play the games that are out now at TOP NOTCH SETTINGS.

I order this stuff lastnight from NEWEGG.com

Thermaltake Full Tower
Asus A8N-32 MoBo
AMD X2 3800+ Dual Core ( Plan on getting and FX later on down the road)
550w Powersupply
2 Gigs DDR 400 (ps3200) of unbuffered ram
eVGA 7800 GT 256mb Video Card (plan on getting a second for SLi when my wife lets me)
19' WideScreen LCD 8ms res 1400x900

Using my previous HD and DVD/CD burner for this...plan on getting a 74 gig WD Raptor HD and going RAID.

This is the main stuff you need for a PC, but then there the bells and whistle......like larger Heatsinks, Fans, Temp. displays, lights, etc. Don't need that stuff right now.....just want to be able to Play F.E.A.R, BF2, and Doom 3 and HIGHEST Settings.

So for all you PC Gamer buffs......

1. Am I going to get High setting in these games with still good FRAMERATES?
2. Anything cheap that will help the performance.
3. Something on the list that I should have gotten different, (which would cost about the same)
4. Any input would be helpful.....thx inadvance.

Sorry to be there bearer of bad news, but that won't play every game on top notch settings for these reasons, because you don't have a top notch system. Don't get me wrong, you will be able to have high settings, but not everything like AA and reselutions jacked up all high.

well maybe i shouldn't have used the word TOP NOTCH...lol....looking to have nice clean graphics with these things.

Im coming from console gaming and having a computer that doesn't even support PCI-E. And not having a computer that does support PCI-E ........would the different in this blow me away?

i think BF2 runs fine w all settings to high. but not F.E.A.R. (nor cod2) even very very high end card still lags on that game. cuz its just poorly optimized game. but i think u should be able to play most of the games on medium to high settings. o and i wouldnt recommend getting FX or SLI'd...cuz its not worth it..more better products will be out in he future when ur comp is getting outdated. upgrading to new generation GPU is more likely recommended in the future when vista comes out or something...

boomstick666 said:
i think BF2 runs fine w all settings to high. but not F.E.A.R. (nor cod2) even very very high end card still lags on that game. cuz its just poorly optimized game. but i think u should be able to play most of the games on medium to high settings.

My brother built his own computer and had pretty good stuff....but missing one thing a..a video card.....so he pop in a NON-PCI-E FX 5600 256mb card.......then put BF2 to all the HIGH SETTINGS. I was really blowen away on nice it looked ingame.......but the framerate was so freaking slow.. I'm trying to get it to what i seen with good framerates......again i come from console gaming..........im just moved over to PC.

Are you guys kidding me? That'll easily run most games on there on the highest graphics possible with great framerates (expect 70FPS in Battlefield 2 on max graphics on 1280x1024). FEAR is one game that won't handle as easily (expect 25-ish FPS, and CoD2 should get 40-ish FPS. But note that these are on max, you can easily tone down the settings a north and get much better performance.

On a side note, don't get an FX series processor. Get a better heatsink (check out the Zalman CPU heatsinks on Newegg) and overclock your processor. You can expect 2.5GHz from your processor with decent cooling. That would make it equal a X2 4800+, roughly :)

Also, I think I like the designation "Computer Buff" much better than "Computer Geek" :classic:.

PS: With SLI, you'll be playing EVERY game at max with good framerates. Even FEAR.

Re: Re: PC Buffs.....Need your input.

well maybe he's not planning on playing on resolutions like 1600x1200.... if your running 1280x1024 you'll get by pretty close to full on some games, i think you could pull off 4xAA and 4xAniso in fear.. COD 2.. i wouldnt know, i havent played it yet.. and on 1024x768 you should pretty much own most games.. if my 6800gs can take on fear 2xAA 4xAniso with soft shadow and get 51 fps average... a 7800 gt can manhandle it

Flanker said:
Are you guys kidding me? That'll easily run most games on there on the highest graphics possible with great framerates (expect 70FPS in Battlefield 2 on max graphics on 1280x1024). FEAR is one game that won't handle as easily (expect 25-ish FPS, and CoD2 should get 40-ish FPS. But note that these are on max, you can easily tone down the settings a north and get much better performance.

On a side note, don't get an FX series processor. Get a better heatsink (check out the Zalman CPU heatsinks on Newegg) and overclock your processor. You can expect 2.5GHz from your processor with decent cooling. That would make it equal a X2 4800+, roughly :)

Also, I think I like the designation "Computer Buff" much better than "Computer Geek" :classic:.

PS: With SLI, you'll be playing EVERY game at max with good framerates. Even FEAR.

Thx for the info

Re: Re: Re: PC Buffs.....Need your input.

NosBoost300 said:
well maybe he's not planning on playing on resolutions like 1600x1200.... if your running 1280x1024 you'll get by pretty close to full on some games, i think you could pull off 4xAA and 4xAniso in fear.. COD 2.. i wouldnt know, i havent played it yet.. and on 1024x768 you should pretty much own most games.. if my 6800gs can take on fear 2xAA 4xAniso with soft shadow and get 51 fps average... a 7800 gt can manhandle it

again in new....but what is 2xAA and 4xAniso? and also i purchased a 19' Widescreen LCD 8ms with native 1400x900....was that a bad choice?

no its not a bad choice at all.. and AA=Anti-Aliasing.. and Anisotropic, they're both filters that smoothen things out... and really i don't notice a difference in graphics after 1280x1024... i think everything above that is just pointless... dramatically lowering your fps for something that looks hardly any different

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom