Where do all the plugs go? (HELP!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffK91

In Runtime
Hi again, I got the Zalman fan to get hooked up but the golden nipples on each side are NOT tight no matter how much I turn it so I'm just going to pray that they hold on.

Anywho, so update on my computer building. I got the PSU, cpu, ram, Mobo, Video card, fan/heatsink all on and now I need to insert the DVD Drive, DVD/CD Writer, and my hard drive.

The hard drive was rather easy to put in but the other 2 drives cant seem to fit in from the back so I'm trying to figure out how to do it in the front. My main problem with building my comp is theres WAY too many wires coming out of my PSU and I don't know where to put them all! I see the PCI-E wire and I easily plugged thati nto my video card, got the main psu wires connected but theres still a TON more left and I have no idea where to put them in. I got a wire to fit into my HDD but on this online guide it says I need the IDE1 wire which I plugged onto my mobo but wouldnt fit into my HDD.

I'm sure you guys cant get a complete clear picture of my problem and it would be hard to explain so does anyone know a good online guide with LOTS of pictures and step by step instructions that a computer noob like me can learn from without confusion? I've been using http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/step/1/ which has too much info and no pictures so it was a bit hard to learn from and http://www.buildyourown.org.uk/pc_building/preparation/ which has pictures but only give about a paragraph per part so it is very hard to get info from this site. I am so tired of this, I've been working on my computer for non stop and after hearing so many people say this is easy it is NOT for a first timer like me BUT I hope once I'm done I can put it all behind and be happy with how my computer runs.

bump :(

I finally got all the hardware in including the DVD r/w and the DVD rom but I'm having trouble finding where all the plugs go in and these online guides aren't very helpful at that nor are the manuels that came with the hardware.

Am I supposed to plug every single thing in? Is it normal for there to be a few unplugged wires?

Looks like I'm gonna have to bring it into a computer place for them to put it together since nobody here seems to know ...:(

u dont have to use all the wires commin out of your psu. Just use whatever u need. Im assuming u have an ATA HDD. They use IDE cables and so do CD roms so u can have one master and 1 slave. there are smaller IDE cables with a twist in it. That is for Floppy drives. IDE HDDS use the 4 round pin connectors called molex connectors. Just plug in power to everything (HDD and CDROM and Vid card if needed with a molex and Floppy with a rectangular connector with 4 small rectangular holes (sometimes a vid card uses this instead of molex) and then Use an IDE to connect HDD and CD Rom to Mobo. The device plugged into the end is the master and the one using the connection in the middle is the slave, make sure to set jumpers accordingly. and then plug in your mobo with the big 20 (or 24) pin connector and you should be good.

This post is kinda late, srry but hope u have a use for it

Biggie578 said:
u dont have to use all the wires commin out of your psu. Just use whatever u need. Im assuming u have an ATA HDD. They use IDE cables and so do CD roms so u can have one master and 1 slave. there are smaller IDE cables with a twist in it. That is for Floppy drives. IDE HDDS use the 4 round pin connectors called molex connectors. Just plug in power to everything (HDD and CDROM and Vid card if needed with a molex and Floppy with a rectangular connector with 4 small rectangular holes (sometimes a vid card uses this instead of molex) and then Use an IDE to connect HDD and CD Rom to Mobo. The device plugged into the end is the master and the one using the connection in the middle is the slave, make sure to set jumpers accordingly. and then plug in your mobo with the big 20 (or 24) pin connector and you should be good.

This post is kinda late, srry but hope u have a use for it

I understand you need to plug the psu cables into pretty much all the hardware I added but the main problem appears to be the smaller cables. Especially the colored ones that come right below my HDD I have no idea where to put them and my MOBO manuel seems to say alot of other things that I don't quite understand.

I'm gonna take some pics right now, stay tuned...

dude those Pics are horrible sorry.. just look at all the hardware and match the amount of pins to the pins on your PSU its pretty much self explanatory as for the HUGE 24 Pin ATX theirs a giant space for it on the Mobo.. you should have many spare connectors so dont worry about that..

But what about the spare plug spaces on the actual hardware (such as the hard drive?). I've been calling for pc fixing places for rates, I'm still wondering if I should actually bring mine in or not which I really hope I wouldn't have done.

And does it matter which pins I put into which hardware as long as it fits? And what about the pins from the psu that can plug into one hardware but theres another pin on that same wire? Do I just leave it alone? Aren't I supposed to connect it the pins to the hardware AND to the mobo?

dude...this shouldnt be this hard as long as u read the manuals.. its like a ez pazzle or lego build. i built 1 w/o almost no knowledge of building comp. it was actually easier than i thought. so READ MANUALS TILL U UNDERSTAND! and RESEACH IT! cuz u sound like u havent even read any manuals...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom