2002 gateway, need to improve/upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

steven9892

Beta member
I have a 2002 gateway computer, pentium 4 1.80GHz, 256 Ram. I think it is a good investment to upgrade it since it really is in good condition. I use it mainly for word, internet, and office applications. I have noticed that it has slowed down a little over time, probably larger programs etc. I also want to buy a 19" moniter as my 15" isnt cutting it anymore. Should I just upgrade my RAM and leave it at that? I am looking for some minor upgrades that will give me another year or two.

I will be using this computer in the future to run a home based business so I will be installing software for that, not sure what kind yet.

My budget without the moniter is $150-200.

Thanks.

Here is more info on my computer. 37.2GB hard drive, CD-RW drive, nothing has been altered from the original. Sorry could not supply more info but I honestly don't know how to find it.

Well found some more info, may help. Sys Bus speed is 400MHZ, Memory bank #1 is 256, mem bank #2, 0. IDE master WDCWDBB-53CAAO Secondary LITE-ONLTR-16102B. Is it worth it to upgrade the hard drive also. I can go up on my budget. I just don't want to get too involved or I will just get another computer.

I would max the RAM on that machine (probably 1 GB would be plenty) Also look for a video card with 256mb RAM or better. They are cheap now. I have found these 2 items to be the biggest bottlenecks in my computers at work. Get a bigger hard drive only if you need the space.

I use to have a gateway like that, until it died on me. Anyways, to make mine run source decently, I added an Ati 9800 PRO (120 ish) and a gig of ram (80 ish) That is what I would do.

The PSU's that come with prebuilts usually suck, so if you plan on upgrading the video card and/or processor be prepared to upgrade a better PSU. Go with FS Nortron or Antec for the PSU, eVGA or Sapphire for the video card, and Geil or Patriot for the value memory.

Brtnboarder495 said:
The PSU's that come with prebuilts usually suck, so if you plan on upgrading the video card and/or processor be prepared to upgrade a better PSU. Go with FS Nortron or Antec for the PSU, eVGA or Sapphire for the video card, and Geil or Patriot for the value memory.

No. I had a gateway and it powered a 9800 fine, and don't say "What if he gets a better card" Because he can't, he has a budget. And everyone knows a 2002 gateway is obviously AGP, so PCI-E cards are out of the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom