Lost my Cd key

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevedub

In Runtime
I lost my CD key for Win XP pro and now I'm not sure what to do. Is there a way I can get another one without having to buy it again?

That's a sweet little program, but I am working on my dad's comp and I already wiped his system. I have just regular XP home on my computer and I can't get a key to work for his. I have no clue where the key is at and I feel real bad for leaving my dad hanging.

I might be wrong, but I am sure that the program aboves requires that you are indeed using the copy of Windows that you installed and it will retrieve the key for you, as will a few other programs. If this is what you are trying to do then all will be fine. Now on the other hand, lets say you have reformatted and have the CD but no product key, I don't think this program can help in that case.

Yes, that is my problem. I already wiped his comp and I can't find the key for the life of me. I guess I can always reformat and use my XP home and install that and use my key. I just really don't want to do that because I have had so many problems with this comp it's not even funny.

Call MS and explain your problem then. Rock XP isn't on my trusted list anyways as it said my CD key was something different than it actually was once.

Tyler1989 said:
Call MS and explain your problem then. Rock XP isn't on my trusted list anyways as it said my CD key was something different than it actually was once.

Did you build that computer or was it OEM?

Ok, here is the story. My dad's computer is a HP pavillion; what I did was swap out the motherboard and cpu to do a minor upgrade. It was a real pain to get everything going, but I finally got windows to start to install. I put my dad's XP pro CD in to install windows and then I realized I couldn't find the case for it. It's been a while since he installed xp pro and who knows where it is. We now have it to the point where it needs the product key and we don't have it.

I think I may just re-wipe and put my xp home in there. At least I have a key for that, so hopefully I can get that to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom