Need some Power Supply Advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSUfan61

Baseband Member
So I have a Dell Dimension 8400 (Go Ahead and flame me :p ). It has worked out for me, but lately Battlefield 2 has been kicking me directly to windows some times, usually during more intensive moments in the game, as well as Need for Speed: Most Wanted, so I'm thinking it might be a power supply issue. Recently I have upgraded some, so i have 4 512mb sticks of PC2 4200 memory, 2 pci cards (wireless and tv tuner), Radeon X800 XL, and 3 7200 rpm SATA HDD's.

Due to the amount of hardware running on my Dell 350W power supply, to you guys think the issue of my crashes is due to this? I have checked those power supply calculators and they recommend anywhere from 280 (lowest) to 352 watts of power, which makes me think that my supply isn't strong enough for those times when i'm really pushing the computer hard graphically.

If I were to get a new power supply, what should I get? I have NO idea about power supplies, and I heard that they could be different on Dells on the pin-outs? I see really cheap 500W power supplies on pricewatch but obviously they can't be good, because they're cheap....Is the reason because they are loud or inefficient?

Ok so i know this is alot, but I'd really appriciate you guys' help in helping me figure out whether or not my crashing to windows issues are due to my power supply, and if so, which to get to fix it! Thanks!

What about an Antec Smart Power 2.0 500W?? It has gotten pretty solid reviews and is 20 bucks less

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom