Desktop shortcuts in XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

leonardmp92

Daemon Poster
Hello,

Have XP Pro. For some reason or another, when I place a shortcut on the desktop, the following happens:

1. Shortcut appears on desktop, but no little arrow shown on the file folder.

2. All I see is a file folder, like it is almost an independent file folder on the desktop.

3. When I try to access the shortcut from an application like word with "File Open", I get an error that states: "The file you tried to open was not found. It may be missing, in a different location, locked by another application, or unavailable due to file permissions".

I have placed desktop shortcuts before which help me get to folders deep in other folders...but I cant figure out what is wrong.

Wondering if anybody could provide some suggestions?

Thank you!

Mike

Hello Warez,

It will copy the shortcut, but it doesnt have the little arrow on it, and doesnt act like a shortcut, but as a stand alone file on the desktop.

Hello. It's a folder though, not a file. When I right click, it pulls up the standard right click menu...open, explore, under properties, it says "Shortcut to xxxx", and shows the correct target.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks Warez...didnt work. I see the trail you are on, I also think it is a registry problem, but I am not sure what reg entry it is. I am also talking with Microsoft folks...but they also dont know what the problem is.

XP Repair install

Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below
This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup. do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console). I repeat, do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R".
Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, read this Warning#2!
Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Thanks again Warez...you mention to select "Repair" (press R) after I select the XP installation I want to repair. Pls confirm.

Also, after this is done, will all the files, applications, shortcuts on my desktop, IE favorites, etc remain the same?

Thanks again for your time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom