Custom computer wont boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aqualunae

Beta member
I'm definitely a newbie so bear with me, please. I recently bought a custom built computer from eBay (yes, risky, I know) and when it arrived I plugged everything in and turned it on. It started to show the MSI boot screen and then the computer shut off abruptly. I tried turning it on again and it didn't show the MSI screen this time, just turned on for a few seconds and shut off again. Each time I try turning it on, it shuts off quicker. If it's off for a long time and I try turning it on it will take longer to shut off but still wont get past the MSI boot screen. It's almost like it wont hold a 'charge' or something. I don't know the technical term for it. Anyway, here are the specs:

COOLERMASTER CENTURIAN ATX CASE
MSI LGA 775 P4 MAINBOARD WITH THE INTEL 915P CHIPSET
INTEL P4 LGA 775 2.66GHZ PROCESSOR
512mb DDR MEMORY PC2700
WD800JD 7200RPM HARD DRIVE (80GB)
128MB DDR PCI EXPRESS RADEON X300SE VIDEO CARD
ON-BOARD SOUND
ON-BOARD GIGABIT LAN
NEC ND3540A 16 DOUBLE LAYER DVD+/-RW
3.5" FLOPPY DRIVE
6-USB 2 PORTS 4REAR/2FRONT
WINDOWS XP 64BIT EDITION

Nothing seems to be loose or rattling inside the case and I opened it up and everything appeared to be hooked in ok, as far as I know. This may be a problem that has to been seen first hand, perhaps at a computer repair store or something, but I was just hoping someone might have any ideas as to what may be wrong.

He said it was New and he sent all the boxes for the hardware which all have warranties but I didn't want to go sending everything back for new items if nothing is wrong with them. The computer wont stay on long enough for me to even open the cd drive. Perhaps it's the power supply? Hardware incompatibility? Again, I've no idea, I'm just stabbing in the dark here. Any ideas at all would be appreciated. Thanks all. :confused:

Try to go into your Bios and set to Default. When it start booting up hit either F1 OR ESC or Delete depending on your bios. It may tell you. Anyway once into Bios you will see a menu that says load fail safe or default options try to set it to one of these and reboot. Let me know if this helps.

I tried what you said and when it showed the blue screen (Bios, I assume) with all the options it shut off again. I tried it a few more times and each time I was just able to open the options and it would shut off before I could really read or select anything on there--about the same amount of time if I had started it without trying to do the Bios thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom