Problem with Installing Hard Drive Please Help ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

persianxballer

In Runtime
My friend wanted another hard drive so I am giving him an old one that I have. His computer has XP Home on it and the hard drive is from my Windows NT 4.0 computer.
I thought I could just install the hard drive and format it to XP, but when I put it in and turned the computer on, it won't go to the Windows XP start screen. I just says put in Windows boot disk.
What do I do? I hope I didnt erase the other hard drive?
Please help ASAP!

change the boot order in the bios..make sure the hdd with the windows install is FIRST..and the slave is second..also make sure that the hdd with windows the jumper is set to Master while the new hdd is set to slave

I changed the settings in the bios and in detects both drives and I set the boot order. However it keeps saying to insert a boot disk or something. XP is on the primary and Windows NT is on the secondary.

If the old one has a operating system they are conflicting. Get a windows 89 floppy boot disk. Unplug the drive you want to keep with windows XP on it. Plug the disk with windows NT on it and boot the computer, start without cdrom support. At the A: type fdisk on the next menu select delete partitions delete non dos partitions. Just delete all partitions when done use the option to create an active partition then follow the instructions. Also when you delete the partition it askes for the name of partition just go to show all partitions to see what its called first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom