Missing XP file (Search Companion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlabamaEngineer

Solid State Member
Currently running Windows XP. When I try to do a file search by clicking on "Search" under the "Start" button I receive an error message that says: "A file that is required to run Search Companion cannot be found. You may need to run setup."

I do not have the setup disk that came with the computer (eMachines W2040).

I have gone to Control Panel / Add or Remove Programs / Add or Remove Windows Components but do not find anything associated with "Search."

Any suggestions for correcting this problem?

Thanks.

Service Pack 2 is already installed.

I downloaded the patch. When I went to install it, received error message that said the Service Pack was newer than the patch and that it could only be installed on systems without the Service Packs installed.

What now?

I just noticed that you had said "reinstall" your service pack.

I've searched the MS web site for "SP2", "SP-2", and "Service Pack 2" and I can't find the service pack to reinstall. I can find patches to update the service pack but not the full service pack. Do you know where it is located.

Thanks.

Does it give a specific file name that it needs. Maybe one of us can find that file and upload it for you.

But it sounds as though you got some problems. If you have system files that have been deleted then something is up. Have you scanned for Viruses and Spyware/Malware lately?

Does not give a specific file. Just says: "A file that is required to run Search Companion cannot be found. You may need to run setup."

Got the computer used. When I got it a couple of months ago it took me about a week to get all the viruses off it.

Avast and Microsoft Spyware says that it's clean now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom