Hard Drive "spins-up" when idle....

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjohn70

Beta member
Could someone please help me!! My life's mission is focused on this problem....must solve!

My laptop (Toshiba Satellite A70, 512Ram, 3.06Ghz) makes a high pitched "whining" sound after it has been idle (1-3 minutes or so). When I click on something (doesnt matter if I'm in firefox, outlook, whatever), the computer will freeze momentarily, you can hear the hard drive spin up, and then a couple of seconds later I'm ready to go. It is very annoying to say the least. Here's what I've tried:

Defrag, Disabled "automatically search for network folders" in the folder options menu, set power options to "always on", cleaned up the startup items (only thing running at startup is virus program (AVG) - and no, disabling the resident shield did not solve the problem). I have checked the Bios, and there is no section that allows me to change power options? All spyware and malware has been removed, virus free. What the heck?? Is there something else I've missed? Does anyone else have this problem?

Awaiting response from anyone....with great anticipation!! Thanks.

Its a power save option, Its probably in control Panel, Find it under power options and either change the Idle wait time or Turn it off completly.

Thanks for the input, as per my original post though, I have the power options set to "never" turn off hard disks, and that has not solved the problem. Any other suggestions?

Perhaps there are programs on your computer that use the hard drive without your consent? Spyware is a big all-around problem for everyone. Otherwise, I say it's time for a defrag or possibly a reformat.

Ryan

Hi Ryan, as per my original post, all spyware malware has been removed (adaware, spybot, registry mechanic, etc). There is nothing running that shouldnt be - other than possibly a service that is running that maybe doesnt have to be and is accessing the hard drive at certain intervals?? - I de-frag regularly, and the laptop is only a few months old.

I've also updated drivers for everything imaginable - LAN, wireless, graphics, etc.....all to no avail!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom