Windows Vista Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Windows Vista help page has provided some insight into Microsoft's packaging plans for the next-generation Windows release due out later this year. While the company has yet to make any official announcement, Microsoft is ostensibly preparing six different editions of Windows Vista.

At the bottom of the list is Windows Starter 2007, which will likely replace the current Windows XP Starter Edition SKU. This slimmed down version of Windows does not carry the Vista branding because it will not feature the new Aero Glass interface, and is designed purely as a low-cost option for emerging markets.

Microsoft will offer two Home editions of Windows Vista. Home Basic will serve as the recommended SKU for single PC homes, largely replacing Windows XP Home Edition. Vista Home Premium, meanwhile, adds Windows Media Center functionality with TV tuner and CableCard support.

Yeah but with all these version you get the regular version which most of us will see. While those in the UK will get the N Version. Which is basically Vista without the WMP installed.

Here is an idea M$. Why not ask during setup if users would like WMP installed. Wouldnt that comply with the EU? Why release 8 versions, 4 that are just without WMP when you could as easily do that.

One word. Three letters. DUH. For people who lead the industry in computer software and OS/Browser usage you might think that they would come to that solution.

Microsoft recently posted a web page designed to test the Windows Vista help system that included incomplete information about the Windows Vista product line up," a Microsoft spokesperson told me Monday morning. "This page has since been removed as it was posted prematurely and was for testing purposes only. We will share more information about the Windows Vista line up in the coming weeks."

On the now-missing page, Microsoft's final branding varied only slightly from my initial report, with one product version (Starter Edition) being renamed and one (Vista Small Business) being dropped. Based on the comments I've gotten from Microsoft, perhaps the Small Business version of Vista is indeed making a comeback.

Here are the product editions Microsoft plans to ship for Windows Vista, based on the most recent information I have:

Windows Starter 2007 (Previously Windows Vista Starter Edition). This version does not use the Vista branding because it will not include the Aero graphics display found in the Vista line of products, and will only ship in a 32-bit version.

Windows Vista Home Basic (and Home Basic N). A simple version of Windows Vista that is aimed at single PC homes. Windows Vista Home Basic is the baseline version of Windows Vista, and the version that all other product editions will build from. Home Basic N is aimed at the EU and will lack Windows Media Player.

Windows Vista Home Premium. Whole home entertainment and personal productivity throughout the home and on the go. As a true superset of Home Basic, Windows Vista Home Premium Edition will include everything from Home Basic, as well as Media Center and Media Center Extender functionality (including Cable Card support).

Windows Vista Business (and Business N) (Previously Windows Vista Professional Edition). Windows Vista Business is roughly analogous to XP Pro today. This version is aimed at business decision makers and IT managers and generalists. Business N is aimed at the EU and will lack Windows Media Player.

Windows Vista Enterprise. Optimized for the enterprise, this version will be a true superset of Windows Vista Pro Edition. It will also include unique features such as Virtual PC, the multi-language user interface (MUI), and the Secure Startup/full volume encryption security technologies ("Cornerstone"). There is no analogous XP version for this product.

Windows Vista Ultimate. The best operating system ever offered for a personal PC, optimized for the individual. Windows Vista Ultimate Edition is a superset of both Vista Home Premium and Vista Business, so it includes all of the features of both of those product versions, plus other features.

According to many industry analysts and rumours posted to our Forums the Feb CTP is due today.

With a build tag expected to be 5308.x86fre.winmain_idx01.060217-2200 the CTP is likely to be near feature complete.

Microsoft yesterday invited press to a conference call at 6:30pm GMT today to talk about the Windows Vista development process. It's expected that shortly after the conference Microsoft will announce the availability of the February CTP.

Microsoft is targetting a release this year and it's widely expected to be an event that will co-inside with the 5 years that have passed since Windows XP was released. Although the company has not confirmed this officially, the next CTP is expected to be released in April.

Since this is feature complete should we be expecting that

Video Cards must be DX10, DX9 will be emulated only
All Drivers must be digitally signed to work

i didn't bother reading all 64 pages of this forum, and there was alot of talk about longhorn, what is long horn?/ is it part of vista. and does anyone know the estimated price for vista??

NO vista is longhorn, longhorn was the code name and vista is what it is called now and when it is released.

Windows Vista is the home user OS that many of us will use, Windows Vista was origanally codenamed Longhorn.

Windows Longhorn is the Server OS for the year 2007, Longhorn may be it's name or it may be renamed not sure if Longhorn is a codename yet.

Warez Monster said:

Windows Vista Ultimate. The best operating system ever offered for a personal PC, optimized for the individual. Windows Vista Ultimate Edition is a superset of both Vista Home Premium and Vista Business, so it includes all of the features of both of those product versions, plus other features.

i must get this one, i will get this one for free, i will get pirated version. and never waste my money.

Well the new build 5308 was released to tester yesterday. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom