Computer Specs, good, or bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyrax

Daemon Poster
Here are the specs on a computer I'm looking to build. I'm a student, so I'm on quite a limited budget. All these prices are in NZD, so it's not as cheap as might seem to you.

Case, $89
Icute 0301SL-BB Black, no PSU

Motherboard, $166.50
GIGABYTE GA-K8NF-9 nForce4-4X PCI-EX16 ATX SKT939

CPU, $282.38
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 64Bit SKT939 2000MHZ Hyper

Memory, $170.98
Kingston ValueRAM Dual Channel Memory Kit, 2x512MB, DDR-SDRAM, DIMM, DDR400

Video Card, $246.38
GIGABYTE GV-NX66T128D GeForce 6600GT PCI-EX16

Storage, $176.70
Seagate Barracuda ST3200822AS Hard Disk Drive, 200GB, 7200rpm, 8192KB Cache, SATA-1/150

Floppy Drive, $11.52
Sony MPF920B 3.5 Branded Floppy Drive Black

PSU, $66.41
Raidmax 500W ATX PSU

I know the PSU isn't the greatest, but it's better than nothing, and it's probably the most I can spare on one. Let me know if there's anything that is cheaper and gives the same performance, or is more expensive, but is worth the upgrade for a little more, etc.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: It would also be great if someone could tell me a rough idea one what games I could run with this thing, and a approximate range of FPS I might get. Thanks.

1. GPU for 246 is way too high for a 6600gt that is stupid prices since you can get a 6800gs for 150ish where is nzd??? if thats new zealand still way to much money have someone in the states buy and ship to you. if you need I'll do it. those prices are stupid.

that package comes out to like 7XX in USD so it isn't that bad i am sure u could find them cheaper some other places

Everything you got was way way over priced but seems nice. I got my sisters kid kinda the same computer but better video crad.
Plus where did you get your parts from best buy god they seem that way for the price.

royalk4 said:
1. GPU for 246 is way too high for a 6600gt that is stupid prices since you can get a 6800gs for 150ish where is nzd??? if thats new zealand still way to much money have someone in the states buy and ship to you. if you need I'll do it. those prices are stupid.

I know it is cheaper to get it from America, but with the shipping and everything it would bump it up a bit, and it's a long way for fragile components to come. And I'm sure a warranty on items is still good if the items are in another country.

schulz269 said:
that package comes out to like 7XX in USD so it isn't that bad i am sure u could find them cheaper some other places

Those are the cheapest I've seen around here. Some of the places I'm getting stuff from is actually from a wholesaler, at wholesale prices.

FunkMaster66 said:
try going with this psu i think it would do better. only problem i doon't know about the money differences.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103937

That PSU over here costs $200. I don't really want to spend that much on a PSU. If the Raidmax one would be sufficient, then I don't see any need to get a Antec one. What is the matter with getting a bad branded PSU? Is it the chance it would break down, or what?

Also, I was just thinking this over today, could someone recommend a Gigabyte motherboard that I could get that also has SLi. I know that alot of people on this forum hate SLi, but it would be a reasonably cheap upgrade for me in the near future, and I've seen some benchmarks with x2 6600gts that boast a 40-80% FPS gain.

One final thing, is it worth upgrading the CPU to a 3500+? It's about $100 more for me. The benchmarks that I mentioned was done on a machine with a 3500+ and the FPS seemed pretty good for the price range.

fr34ky said:
Everything you got was way way over priced but seems nice. I got my sisters kid kinda the same computer but better video crad.
Plus where did you get your parts from best buy god they seem that way for the price.

I'm in a different country, everything over here is much more overpriced than that in the good ol' US of A.

It's the currency ROFL!, Over here in Australia the currency is double and a half.

Anyways, That rig is going to get old in about 6 months. Since the new 7900GTX is coming out and later on the GeForce 8 is coming out. Oh not to mention there is Dual cores and AM2 !.

I don't really care about it getting old, I just want a computer that can run CS:S faster than my computer at the moment, which runs it as 20fps.

I was thinking of changing the card to a Gigabyte 6800GS card, and the CPU to a 3700+, it ups the price about $300 more, but it makes it an even $1,500. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom