celeron d vs pentium d

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilstar187

Baseband Member
ok im planning to build a computer soon. i dont really understand the difference between celeron and pentium processors. the clock speed on the celeron d is higher than the pentium d but other than that i cant tell a real difference. which is a better quality processor?

The Pentium D is a dual core processor and the Celeron D is just the newer model Celerons. Celerons are just basically beat down Pentiums. The Pentium may have a lower clock speed, but it will make up for it with the second core and more cache. You will definitally notice a BIG difference.

As was mentioned before, I would go with AMD if possible.

ok thanks alot. im kinda on a limited budget on this project but i found a motherboard/cpu combo. 939 motherboard with an amd athlon 64 fx at 2.6g for like $820. after i posted this thread i read some more and saw that for gaming a processor from that series would cock smack any intel processor so yea ima go with that one. but thnx for the info.

You're on a limited budget, yet you are choosing a FX-55? I'm confused. Let me tell you, the FX CPUs are incredibly overpriced and not worth it.

well my budget for this computer is around 2k so i can go with another processor. i plan to go with an amd so do you have any suggestions?

I would suggest the X2 4800. It costs a little over $600. Its only slightly slower than the FX55, but it is dual core, so it makes up the difference in a big way.

Vybuni said:
Celerons are just the newer versions of PIII's so P4's are much better.

The Celerons are p4's with less cache. They've all been based on the current p4. williamette, northwood and prescott. The p4 is still much better tho. And of course you should go with AMD tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom