Can you have too much RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

XeE

Solid State Member
My computer(Compaq 5000US) which is 5 years old says that it can have upto 768 of RAM. now is this because 5 years ago this was all a computer could have. Or can I not remove the 3 sticks of 256 RAM to replace it with 3 1 Gig sticks. Thank you for the help

If the manual says you can only have 768mb thats all you can have. If you put in 3 1gb sticks your computer would only recognize it as 768mb. Even if you could 3gig would be bad because it wouldn't operate in dual channel and windows xp doesn't like more than 2gb of ram.

curtcheese64 said:
If the manual says you can only have 768mb thats all you can have. If you put in 3 1gb sticks your computer would only recognize it as 768mb. Even if you could 3gig would be bad because it wouldn't operate in dual channel and windows xp doesn't like more than 2gb of ram.

well said :cool:

I think 2 gig's is the max. That's all you'll need anyway. My friend has 3 gigs but it really isn't necessary for today's games. 4 gigs is really overdoing it though. Windows won't operate properly with 4 gigs of ram in it. Or so that is what I read somewhere.:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom