Program for testing overclocking success

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprtnbsblplya

Daemon Poster
Does anyone know of a program that will stress my CPU after overclocking it that will help determine the success of overclocking over extended periods of time under heavy load?
To be more specific a program written specifically for this, or would it just be easiest to run Half-Life 2 or something like that for awhile and see if it crashes?

SuperPi is pretty good to see how much of a performance increase in terms of RAW number-crunching you have gained.

Prime95 is good to test the stability of your system with an overclock.

Umm, games and things like 3Dmark arn't going to do it. SuperPI is getting closer, but that's still not intense enough. Games and benchmarks like 3dmark stress the video card, and while they do put a good sized load on the CPU, they do not do it nearly as well as a program that is made to test just the CPU. Prime95 is vere popular, if you are prime stable for 8hours or more, then you can consider your overclock "successful". If you want to go the extra mile however, I would download a program called S&M. It puts an even larger load than prime95 on your cpu. just google for "s&m cpu".

i just backed up the HL2 point because Elbatrop already covered Prime. of course nothing compares to prime or S&M and all the other big number programs for stability testing but unfortunately a lot of the people here don't take the time to do it properly but could sit and play a game just as long :) and in the cpu games stakes it doesn't get much better than HL2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom