Question regarding WinXP, old hard drive, and two new RAID1 drives...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
Long story short, at least as short as I can make it. I currently have two drives, a 200 gb and a 20 (old drive but I use it for backing up the most important things i.e. pictures, music). I plan to upgrade to a pair of drives to set up a mirror format.

The WinXP I have is actually from a Dell that we have upstairs (family computer). Bark at me all you want, but I used that CD to install WinXP on my computer downstairs. Using RockXP, since there's no key for the CD (it worked off of the serial code on the Dell), I was able to view the actual CD Key. I assume that when I install WinXP on the new drives, that I just use that key and there shouldn't be any problems? I'd just hate to buy these drives and realize I have to budget for a retail version of the OS.

Another question is this. Say I hookup the two new drives, well I want to get my pictures and music from the 200 gb drive... would I just hook that up as a third drive, and transfer everything to the main mirror drive? Then, would everything just automatically mirror to the 2nd drive as well?

that key froma Dell computer is an oem cd-key and it is only bound to that dell machine. i doubt that key will work but u can try and see.

mirror format? u talkin about mirrored volumes? win xp does not support mirrored volumes.

mike4realz said:
that key froma Dell computer is an oem cd-key and it is only bound to that dell machine. i doubt that key will work but u can try and see.

mirror format? u talkin about mirrored volumes? win xp does not support mirrored volumes.

I mean mirrored drives, as in a pair of identicle hard drives that mirror one another in a raid1 setup.

I was just trying to get the jist of it down... like, I guess I'd have to install Windows XP on the first drive, let it automatically mirror itself to the 2nd mirror drive, and then after Windows is in, I'd just have to hook up my 200 gb hard drive as a slave, and transfer all of my music and pictures over. Meh... I just wanted to make sure that I had the correct idea down.

mike4realz said:
mirrored volumes are also known as raid1, xp does not suport mirrored volumes

ooooooookay then has everybody I've talked to on this board been lying to me or something? Everywhere I read people are setting up raid1 setups and have had zero issues......

Jayce said:
ooooooookay then has everybody I've talked to on this board been lying to me or something? Everywhere I read people are setting up raid1 setups and have had zero issues......
they were probably using a server OS cuz raid1 is only available for server based operating system or if they were using a raid controller

I have set up Win XP in RAID 1 before with no problems. Just install both disks, create the array according to your motherboard instructions(or RAID card), install Win XP (when prompted to install 3rd party driver,do so). Be sure to set the boot in Bios to the new array. then you can copy files from the old drive to the new array. As far as useing the OEM Win XP on the new system,YOU CAN'T.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom