Figure out this RAM problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
try manually setting the speeds(clock values). I have had two motherboards that did not detect the SPD on the memory, and when I set the memory manually, it started right up.

cobalt817 said:
try manually setting the speeds(clock values). I have had two motherboards that did not detect the SPD on the memory, and when I set the memory manually, it started right up.

Did you get 3 beeps and then no response like we did?

no, it would not even post. then I reset the BIOS, and manually set the mem clocks, then it booted fine.

And how can RAM possibly be only brand compatible?
Because that's the way some companies make their boards. Some RAM simply won't work on some motherboards, that's just how it goes, regardless if it's PC3200 DDR400 just like this other stick, that brand may not be compatible with it.

the scan said GUARANTEED TO BE COMPATIBLE and it wasn't compatible.
once again, the scan said BALLISTIX memory is guaranteed to be compatible, not corsair whatever-the-heck you got.

Read it dang it

These Ballistix 184-pin DIMM modules are compatible with

So quit saying the scanner is at fault when they are blatantly telling you which brand to get. Nowhere in there does it say corsair. As far as the tech saying 1gb and the scanner saying 2gb, I don't know what to tell ya. Could be human error on his part for all we know.

This is why I said you need to call gateway and check whether or not that specific CORSAIR braind is compatible which it's obviously looking like it isn't, OR......the simple issue, the RAM is simply faulty and needs to be exchanged.

Nubius said:
So quit saying the scanner is at fault

I thought I'd check back here and tell everybody about what the problem is. So let's start with your rather, well I'll just keep my mouth shut, let's just start with your... post. It turns out the scanner was INDEED WRONG. The scanner said (after running it multiple times) that that system COULD HANDLE TWO GIGABYTES OF RAM. It has two slots. Well, do the math. Two 1gb sticks = 2 gigabytes, as it says it can handle.

Turns out the scanner was wronggggggggggggggg. We called Gateway and it turns out that the system could only handle 1 gigabyte, each slot handling a total of 512mb. That's why it wouldn't boot up, because the RAM that was in it was bigger than what the slot could handle. We returned the 1 gig stick, and got the EXACT SAME KIND of Corsair RAM just in 2x512 form. Sucker booted right up.

SNAP. The End. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom