Figure out this RAM problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
Some people at work were telling me that their computer was having some slow gameplay issues, and I later found out they were only running a system wiht 256mb of RAM. I had them use the Crucial System Scanner (Crucial.com) and it displayed that the computer uses 184 pin DDR, and their motherboard supports a maximum of 2 gigabytes of RAM. They kept talking about getting 1 gigabyte, so I said well go for it. So I emailed them a link from newegg of Corsair Valueselect RAM, 1 gigabyte.

They got the RAM and emailed me this.

"we put the new ram in, and when we turned computer on it just beeped three times, and the monitor just went in standby mode and no picture came up, we then took the new one out and put the old one back in and everything was fine. could we possibly have the wrong one"

Anybody know what this is about?

Well here's the email he sent me. It's with the Crucial System Scanner results.

These performance memory upgrade choices are guaranteed
compatible
with your Gateway 500 Series (DDR PC2700).

Ballistix 184-pin DIMM | Ballistix Tracer 184-pin DIMM (with
LEDs) |

These Ballistix 184-pin DIMM modules are compatible with
your
system.
Size of Upgrade Part # Specifications Price Qty/Buy
512MB CT395356 DDR PC3200 . 2-2-2-6 . UNBUFFERED .
NON-ECC . DDR400 . 2.8V . 64Meg x 64
What does this mean? US $71.99
512MB CT400500 DDR PC4000 . 2.5-4-4-8 . UNBUFFERED .
NON-ECC . DDR500 . 2.8V . 64Meg x 64
What does this mean? US $73.99
256MB CT392784 DDR PC3200 . 2-2-2-6 . UNBUFFERED .
NON-ECC . DDR400 . 2.8V . 32Meg x 64
What does this mean? US $33.99
256MB CT397928 DDR PC4000 . 2.5-4-4-8 . UNBUFFERED .
NON-ECC . DDR500 . 2.8V . 32Meg x 64
What does this mean? US $33.99

You see, it said PC2700 DDR, but I thought the 2700 portion was just the clock speed of the RAM, and if you inserted higher speed RAM (3200) that it would just automatically downclock. So I told them to get the DDR PC3200 Corsair Valueselect, and they did. I also suggested that especially since in the above information, it said GUARANTEED to be compatible, and some of those options are DDR PC3200......................

He said he took the 1gb ram out and put the 256 back in, and it started up like normal. *shrugs* What should I do? Have them run memtest, or did what I say shed some more light??

Another thing to add, he said the package is described as "184 pin DDR DIMM" and that's it, it doesn't have PC3200 anywhere on it. Isn't DIMM just the name of the slot the RAM goes in??

What does ECC have to do with anything? My buddy just asked me if it was ECC or non ECC... Turns out the Corsair RAM is non ECC, and he said if the board doesn't support that it won't run. What the ****?

ECC is "Error Correcting Code" I believe, that's only used for server platforms. Normal desktops like mine and yours uses the unbuffered.

Non-ECC is exactly what he should have gotten. Since it's a gateway machine, it could be picky, it is saying you need ballistix.....that's a particular brand, and you got him corsair, which could simply be the problem right there.

You should really call gateway or go to their website and get a complete RAM compatibility list.

Nubius said:
ECC is "Error Correcting Code" I believe, that's only used for server platforms. Normal desktops like mine and yours uses the unbuffered.

Non-ECC is exactly what he should have gotten. Since it's a gateway machine, it could be picky, it is saying you need ballistix.....that's a particular brand, and you got him corsair, which could simply be the problem right there.

You should really call gateway or go to their website and get a complete RAM compatibility list.

He called Gateway, and they told him that that motherboard only supports up to 1 gig of memory, and only 512mb per slot. When I did the system scanner, it said it could support up to 2 gigs of memory... Needless to say I've lost faith with the Crucial System Scanner... :mad:

And how can RAM possibly be only brand compatible? I mean, I thought as long as the specifications matched up that everything should be fine... That's at least what I've been told for the past 10 months or so I've been on this board.

Always check multiple sources before comitting to buying something.. Such as kingston. Just enter in the model info of the comp and it tells you everything. If you notice a descrepincy call the computers manufacturer. I learned from experience not to go cheap and not to take memory upgrades lightly. Glad you figured it out though.

dubbs said:
Always check multiple sources before comitting to buying something.. Such as kingston. Just enter in the model info of the comp and it tells you everything. If you notice a descrepincy call the computers manufacturer. I learned from experience not to go cheap and not to take memory upgrades lightly. Glad you figured it out though.

Uh, I kinda did. I ran a scan, the scan said GUARANTEED TO BE COMPATIBLE and it wasn't compatible. The scan also said that the PC can support 2 gigs of RAM, when later, the Gateway tech said it can only support 1 gig of RAM. So what was I supposed to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom