Applying AS adhesive to memory chips

Status
Not open for further replies.

espeed

In Runtime
I have the DFI ultra-d board and im trying to get my PWMIC temp down as its a little high. I applied a heatsink to the chip without any real affect on temps. This may come down to the crappy thermal tape that comes with the heatsink. I am planning to use a mix of AS adhesive and the normal AS5 compound together to get the most out of the heatsink. I have read that AS adhesive can basically screw chips over if it touches the pins and forms a bridge between them. Ive seen some sites recommend applying silicone to the pins to protect them before applying the adhesive to the chip. Im interested to know peoples experiences here with using the AS adhesive on these sensitive chips and the methods you have used to avoid damaging anything. The last thing i want to do is right off my mainboard.

Thanks.

If you are talking about mixing the adhesive with the thermal compound then you are wrong. It is commonly done to extend the curing time and to also allow for removal of the heatsink down the road if required.

no problem mixing the two, but if you want to be on the safe side, try using their arctic alumina with maybe some ceramique...i havent tried it, but both those are used in more sensitive areas since both are non-conductive

Ultra-D should already come with microsinks for all of your mosfets including pwm IC...but in any case, it would be much easier and much more effective to simply rig up a fan blowing over the mosfets

gaara said:
Ultra-D should already come with microsinks for all of your mosfets including pwm IC...but in any case, it would be much easier and much more effective to simply rig up a fan blowing over the mosfets

I have a fan blowing in that area already and it makes a slight improvement, but not enough......

doodle dee said:
no problem mixing the two, but if you want to be on the safe side, try using their arctic alumina with maybe some ceramique...i havent tried it, but both those are used in more sensitive areas since both are non-conductive

Can you explain the difference between the ceramique and this alumina stuff which seems to have ceramique particles in it anyway....whats the diff here? and whats the advantage of mixing the two?

"Ceramique uses a high-density layered composite of five unique shapes of thermally conductive aluminum oxide, boron nitride and zinc oxide sub-micron particles..."
"Arctic Alumina uses a layered composite of three unique shapes and sizes of ceramic particles"

Ceramique a bit stickier and thicker but has better thermal properties. Both are safe to use anywhere. i figured, since people add in regular arctic silver to AS adhesive for better performance and so the ramsinks can be taken off, you should be able to use arctic alumina adhesive and mix in a bit of ceramique as well.

doodle dee said:
"Ceramique uses a high-density layered composite of five unique shapes of thermally conductive aluminum oxide, boron nitride and zinc oxide sub-micron particles..."
"Arctic Alumina uses a layered composite of three unique shapes and sizes of ceramic particles"

Ceramique a bit stickier and thicker but has better thermal properties. Both are safe to use anywhere. i figured, since people add in regular arctic silver to AS adhesive for better performance and so the ramsinks can be taken off, you should be able to use arctic alumina adhesive and mix in a bit of ceramique as well.

My understanding is that alumina is just a grease. Thanks for your help, I think ill use the ceraminc with a touch of glue in the corners....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom