ATI Vs nVidia

Status
Not open for further replies.

HugeF1

Baseband Member
I am about to choose a graphics card for my new comp, and I was wondering whether there was any real difference between these two companies? I have owned a GeForce 2MX and an ATI 9600PRO and found that I prefered ATI (I dunno why though!). Is it a question of personal preference or is there a real discernable difference these days?

I'm not really discriminate against either company, but I have found nVidia drivers to be more stable and less buggy. Buy whichever is in your price range and offers the best performance.

Ryan

Hmm well I would have to say the X1900XT (or the XTX if you can afford it). But my advice is to wait until the the GeForce 7900 series to come out, which is susposed to compete with the X1900 series. Or better yet, wait for the G80/R600, but that's probably to long of a wait.

ok, having read a load of reviews, it seems the 7800GT is better by a small margin but only for SLi which I'm not interested in (budget reasons). Is there any other difference?

The X1900XT/XTX is currently the top of the line video card. Period. That may change with the release of the 7900 series, but right now, the X1900 series is the king. If you can afford an X1900XT, get it. (or wait for the 7900 series and compare them)

Meh, it looks like since the G71 is still to only have 24 pipelines and faster clocks on a smaller die than the G70, the R580 may hold the video card crown now. But it is going to be around the same price and/or maybe cheaper than the R580.

EDIT: Whatever you do, don't buy the X1900XTX, it's only 25/50 faster than the X1900XT. Simpy OC the X1900XT by 50/100 or so and you have a card that runs faster than a stock X1900XTX.

err both those cards are way above my price range. I am gonna get the 7800 as no one seems to want to give an opinion between that and the x1800xl. Thanks for the help though guys.

BTW I feel it's totally pointless waiting for a new card to come out as they do so every 6 months. You could be waiting for ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom