New Network

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, you most likely have a firewall built into the gateway/router that you are using. Disabling the XP firewall will not expose your computer to the internet. There is still a heavy layer of protection. I find that the XP firewall causes a lot of problems with networks in general anyway. SP2 for XP has a lot of enhancements for the XP firewall.

-Mike

Here is a question, do you have a third party firewall installed? (Zone Alarm, Norton Personal Firewall)

If so, make sure each computer in is a "trusted" zone. If the IP address/range is not in the trusted zone they won't be able to see each other in the network and won't be able to share documents or the printer.

===========================================

If it is not firewall related, run the network wizard again and make sure the workgroup name is the same on both PC's. :)

No, I don't have a third party program installed yet, just built the comp a few weeks ago.

So probably the best thing to do is to disable XP's firewall? Is that what everone else does?

New quick question...how do I get my hands on a new service pack, and is it free? (I have SP1) Thanks again.

Another question, can you access the internet from any of the computers running off the router?

Can you connect to your router by typing the router IP address?

If you could connect to your router from both PC's then we know its not a physical/hardware issue.

If you could connect to your router, double-check the router connection settings (Your logon, PW are typed correctly, type of connection etc.)

One step at a time.. all will be solved!

Yeah the internet works fine with both computers, the only problem is setting up a network so they can share files and the printer.

So what exactly is a service pack? I know I've heard that there's a SP3 out, right? And is the SP2 beta one free only because it's beta?

Service Packs are always free, as long as you a license for Windows XP. There is an SP3 out but only for Win 2000 and Win NT. Not XP.

-Mike

BadCompany said:
I don't know much about firewalls but isn't that dangerous? Does everyone with a network have turn off their firewalls?
Yes, having no protection at all is dangerous, but if you need to troubleshoot a problem sometimes the best thing to do is eliminate all possible causes. A firewall blocks traffic from coming in but it also can block traffic from going out. IMO I think it's best to configure the firewall to block all ports and traffic and as time goes on open the ports which are needed. But in your case you must first see if the firewall is the problem...so turning it off will determine if the firewall is the cause...and if it is the problem then you can turn it back on and configure it for your needs.

zilantyas, he has a router on his connection. Most routers have NAT, and also set up a private network on our side of them. With XP's firewall off, I'd say he's probably still pretty safe.

All right, I disabled WinXP's firewall and everything's working fine :). Thanks a lot for your help, guys. I owe you all.

P.S. - Whoops, one little quick question, in my WinXP windows task manager in the user's tab, it still only shows my comp as the only user logged onto the network. Is this because the other comp is WinME or something and it's normal? or should it show up in the task manager? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom