AMD Opteron 148 OC

Status
Not open for further replies.

BennyV04988

Fully Optimized
Okay, I've dropped the idea of getting the dual core 165 opty due to budget and utilization as far as games. Simply not worth the extra hundred bucks for less speed. However, I don't plan to build until June after my graduatio and after am2 etc for a nice discount. What are my chances of getting an Opty 148 that would OC to 2.8GHz in 4 months? Would those be long gone? would i have to step up to a 150? :confused:

BennyV04988 said:
Okay, I've dropped the idea of getting the dual core 165 opty due to budget and utilization as far as games. Simply not worth the extra hundred bucks for less speed.
Less speed? What are you talking about? my 165 does 2.8GHz at 1.52v, I keep it at 2.75 though because I only need 1.42v for that speed and it runs a lot cooler. Also, getting higher model # optys does not increase OC potential. The only reason to get more expensive ones is for the higher multiplier if you have cheap valueram.

hmmmm...but a $250 sc @2.9GHz vs a $330 dc @2.75GHz...For gaming I think I'd rather take the sc. It would beat the dc on games, which is my purpose. I don't burn dvds while fraggin terrorist ya know. I'd play music while gaming but thats about the extent of my "crucial" multitasking. Its just a matter of price to perfromance. I'd look at 150 vs a 148 in the long run because they'd OC higher as they are already rated for 2.4GHz. I'm still wondering what kind of OC i could expect from an opty in 4 months. What steppings will still be around?

I don't know, but in about 4-5 months, the new conroe cores from intel are susposed to come out, and if the specs from the paper launch hold true, bye bye amd.

pshhhh...screw intel. Facist pigs...They rush every **** thing they sell and its just as crappy as the last production line. I don't fear that AMD is going anywhere. You know what they'll do? You don't think AMD is capable is putting out 3GHz+ chips? They've schooled Intel for years, but only buy a margine they felt was big enough. If Intel takes the lead, AMD will simply launch 3.5+GHZ cpus next round. Right now they are out in front, and are able to make low speed chips that have defied Intel unto their doom. They will simply make faster chips....

well here's my 2 cents... even with my opteron at 2.0 ghz... this thing was still kicking some *** and taking names... who cares which one you get... you will love either one!

well here's my 2 cents... even with my opteron at 2.0 ghz... this thing was still kicking some *** and taking names... who cares which one you get... you will love either one!

:) sounds good! I'm planning for 2.8GHz atleast so ya. It should own for what I'm used to! I just don't see much practicality in buying the DC now considering FEAR is like the only game that the DC patch actually does any good for.

a bit of advice, the Opty 939s are going quick,get one soon if you want one. If you buy from Newegg,get retail,not OEM. you'll have a far better chance of getting a good stepping.

Are the new retail cpus better steppings generally than the OEMs? why is that?

I have my 148 at 2.8 with 1.475 vCORE. I got it too boot at over 3ghz but i needed alittle too much voltage and i didnt want it getting too hot. If they arent making good steppings when you go to buy yours, look on ebay and buy one that has a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom