DVD drive not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chokingonbile

Banned
Okay so a couple weeks ago I built a computer, I have a NEC dual layer 3500A DVD drive. When I first built it I got it to run my Windows XP disk and I was able to rip a couple cd's and play Battlefield 1942.

But recently it hasn't been working, I have tried so many things to get it to work. When I would go to device manager it said everything was working okay but it still wasn't reconizing any disks I put in.

I want to be able to play games on this computer, it's pretty much the reason I built it.

I updated everything on Windows and once I downloaded SP2 my DVD drive wasn't even showing up on device manager or on My Computer. I tried unplugging the drive and plugging it back in but Windows still didn't reconize it. I went on NEC's website and it says I don't need any drivers for it since I'm running XP. Also I should note this was a OEM drive and did not come with any kind of CD.

I don't think my DVD drive is broken, I can still open and close the tray fine.

Thanks so much for the help.

perhaps the ribbon cable from the motherboard is broken...

try a different one if you can...

or... maybe hook it up as a slave with the hard drive... (if it's ata)

if all else fails... get a new dvd drive...

they are getting quite cheap...

Juice Daddy said:
perhaps the ribbon cable from the motherboard is broken...

try a different one if you can...

or... maybe hook it up as a slave with the hard drive... (if it's ata)

if all else fails... get a new dvd drive...

they are getting quite cheap...

Yeah my drive was only 40something, I'm completly broke after building my computer though.

I'm going to try the things you said and I'll post later and let everyone know if it worked or not.

Thanks man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom