New Rig, New questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

smalltown

Beta member
My 4 yr old comp died and I've decided to build on my own instead of buying a 1800+ and new mobo to keep it running. I am a newb to building. I've been seaching the forums for the past few days but i'd appreciate a little time from you guys. Ive got about 2k and cant wait til summer to build. But I'd like to save as much as i can from that 2k for other compenents (speakers, keyboar, mouse) later if possible.

This is what I'm thinking about.

Windows XP Pro Sp2 $140

I don't need SLI or Crossfire but would like to have it as an option for the future.

Im thinking about getting an ASUS A8N-SLI Premium MOBO or a DFI Lanparty UT, but ive heard that DFI is not newb friendly. I'd like to hear would you guys have to say about OPTERON friendly mobo's since i think this is the best processor for the price right now.

Opteron 165 so i can over OC $330 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16819103588

2gb G.Skill DDR500, or should i get OCZ Gold or something for 40 bucks more? $200
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820231021

Prbly a Cooler Master Case $60-140 any other suggestions? Nothing too fancy i'll be in a dorm room in a few months.

2x Western Digital 250 Gb 16mb cache HDD $200
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16822144701

But

Is this power supply efficient, does a name mean much with PSU?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16817152022 $70

Do I need a Zalman VF-700 cu for a single graphics card? $30

How many extra case fans does one need?

I hate ribbon wires, what and how many round cables should i get for my hdd's and single dvd burner and do i need an SCSI card for dual hard drives or will mobo do?

Should I get a Zalman or Big Typhoon CPU air cooler. $50-60

So Far Pretty much 1200 bucks leaving 700-800 for single graphics card, mobo, and shipping.

And one last thing, ATI or NVIDIA sub $500 graphics card preference with AMD? I had an ati 128mb 9800 pro running in 4x agp on my last comp and liked it but that was several years ago.

Ill look for a wiring guide on line or just tediously go through the manuals.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :D

if you're doing it during the summer, i recommend to get the new am2 socket, window vista, and dx10 cards.

If your not going to wait on the new intel/amd processors then opteron 165 is the only way to go.

if you're doing it during the summer, i recommend to get the new am2 socket, window vista, and dx10 cards.

why exactly? AM2 is basically a transition to a DDR2 based memory controller, Vista will be another piece of crap from M$ (seen it and it hasn't impressed me much) and who knows about DX10. i say its better to build now on proven parts than to build in the future on promises of good parts. all these things are going to be so phenomenally expensive on release that any possible advantages are negligible. i guarantee that it will cost you less to build a better pc with proven parts now than it will cost to build probably a less powerful pc with the stuff that is hot to the shelf

Im going to buy now. I meant to say that I can't wait until summer to buy the newer components. Id like to purchase proven parts now that are pretty future proof. But what graphics card do you guys suggest as a single card. Also, should i just get a x2 4400 or try to find an opteron 170-175? And should i just stick with the asus mobo or get a dfi, like i said im a newb to building.

i dont see how the dfi boards aren't newb friendly, i used one on my first build and no problems. IVE heard of some problems with the dfi expert boards if you wanted an sli board but the ultra-d is great what i have. If you have that kind of money id go try and hold out for another 2 or so week and wait for 7900 cards and see about that, but you could always go single 7800gtx or sli 7800gt's

There are many other threads like this, look through more recent ones. Here are some things to look out for though:

SLI and Crossfire aren't worth it at all, and buying a SLI or Crossfire ready motherboard is more expensive and not worth it unless your loaded.

Waiting for Socket AM2 and DDR2 is the best thing to do, especially if building from scratch.

XP Pro isn't worth it, go for XP home. It's especially not worth it with Vista right around the corner, you'll really only be using XP for no more than 9-12 months I'd imagine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom