Alienware m5500, XPS m140, or Inspiron 9300?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuzi

Solid State Member
Ok I'm looking for some serious advice on purchasing a laptop for mostly gaming but also homework (word processing and powerpoint), web research and browsing, music (ripping and syncing to my iriver h10), and watching movies (simple dvds). I would also like a cd and dvd burner. Price is definitly an issue. I'm only 16 so I'd like to keep this under 1k, and no more than $1200. The three laptops I've narrowed down are: Alienware m5500, Dell inspiron 9300, and Dell XPS m140. In regards to the gaming, I play relatively simple strategy games such as civ III, AOE 2, etc. I would like to play some newer higher-end strategy games such as dawn of war and empire at war, although I fear they won't be able to run on this laptop I plan to purchase. I also play shooters such as half life and counterstrike, and again I would like to run newer games like half life 2, cs source, doom 3, battlefield 2, etc. I fear they may not run. So, I'm asking for the following advice, THROUGH EXPERIENCE (not speculation), which laptop would you advise? (m5500, XPS, or Dell 9300?) What newer, more powerful games would I be able to run?

I know you didn't list it as a choice, but I advise a desktop. Laptops are almost completely bought for reasons that the people don't have. If you don't need mobility, why pay for it?

Ryan

plus desktops are cheaper and stronger and if you want a desktop i advise building one yourself i built my first one over christmas and its not hard at all

Yea that's why I see high-end and gaming laptops as pointless ... they are either really expensive, have poor video cards or really bad battery life. If you can manage to avoid all those negatives, then you have to be willing to pay at least $2000-2500.

There is no way you could get a setup as nice as you wish for that much money.

A desktop would be nice, but I need the mobility. I travel frequently and taking a desktop just wouldn't work. I'm not talking about total high-end hardcore gaming, I also need this laptop for everyday purposes too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom