"Concept" PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
septoid2 said:
Seems as though the only people here educated in the fine art of Chemistry is BennyV and Flanker.

The idea would work, you guys think since the computer is hotter then its surroundings cold air is going to condense onto the case and the inner components, which makes sense, thats how frost is formed. So basically, yeah, the computer would have a layer of frost surrounding it :p

Ways you can avoid that. You can put your computer in a closed apparatus INSIDE the freezer to reduce chances of hardware failure (although I'm not too sure hardware would fail due to frost formation). There will still be condensation however minimal, most of the condensation would form around the apparatus, like a box or something.

Um, thanks for the comment, but condensation happens when an object is COLDER than its surroundings, not HOTTER. If it was hotter, then condensation would be forming on my motherboard right now because I can bet you that its hotter than the air around it. When you use LN2, you cool the motherboard and CPU to below room temperature, and when the hotter air in the surroundings comes into contact with cold components, it loses molecular energy and chances into a liquid (condensation).

I have some new reasoning. I just put a temp monitor in my freezer. It read 3*F, thats -16.1*C. And yet...there is no frost in there. My reasoning? NO H20 in there. I say that all th water vapor in there already froze and theres no more left in the air. What I'm thinking is if you put the PC in the freezer with the side taken off (and turn it off), the water vapor would escape from the case and freeze. Then, you could turn on the PC without any chance of water vapor damaging it. Since condensation wasn't an issue, the only danger to the PC would have been from water vapor that got on the components and shorted them out. Since we got all that, the only thing you're going to be getting is -10*C temps.

ilovesocks said:
The site does say

"Arctic Silver 5 was formulated to conduct heat, not electricity."

Saying this does not guarantee that AS5 doesn't conduct electricity. Just because it was "formulated" to conduct heat doesn't mean it DOESN'T conduct electricity. :D

But then it says this afterward:

"(While much safer than electrically conductive silver and copper greases, Arctic Silver 5 should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads. While it is not electrically conductive, the compound is very slightly capacitive and could potentially cause problems if it bridges two close-proximity electrical paths.)"

Look at the section titled "Not Electrically Conductive."

http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm

Flanker said:
That is simply a note, not a declaration. People that use DICE and LN2 coat the motherboard in AS5. I have proof of working systems, do you have proof of failed systems?

Well then, why don't we settle this once and for all, we'll need a volunteer to rub some AS5 all over thier motherboard.

Even better, we need a volunteer to put their PC in the freezer with the motherboard also coated in AS5. No, that wouldn't work, because then if there was a problem we wouldn't know what caused it. It would be pretty tricky to get the PC in the freezer, how would you get all the cables to it and keep a seal?

lol u guys r awesome. funny stuff. i have an old comp that i dont care about so im going to try it lol. seriously tho i think the conclusion to keeping a comp as cold as possible is to turn a fridge into a case. pretty funny looking and awkward but cool. i could jus imagine walking into my room every time and seeing a mini fridge in between my printer and monitor :p. and then if u wanted a late night snack its right there lol. wow the genius things ppl come up with on here :D

indeeeed. And hey! just to solve this ever mysterious condensation problem.....Put the **** pc in a vacuum sealed bag. then put that in the freezer. No condensation on the inside of the bag because there's not air or vapor in it. BRILLANT! I have this strange taboo though about zip locking an electronic device in a bag...as if....i feel it needs air. Like its alive and needs to breathe. lmao

BennyV04988 said:
indeeeed. And hey! just to solve this ever mysterious condensation problem.....Put the **** pc in a vacuum sealed bag. then put that in the freezer. No condensation on the inside of the bag because there's not air or vapor in it. BRILLANT! I have this strange taboo though about zip locking an electronic device in a bag...as if....i feel it needs air. Like its alive and needs to breathe. lmao

Thats what I said about the apparatus in my earlier post.

Sorry I keep confusing condensation with sublimation of the moisture-rich air. Condensation is the change from gas to a liquid, in a freezer this doesn't happen. There is moisture in the freezer suspended in the air and as the freezer, well, gets cold, the moisture eventually sublimes over the case, the more you open and close this freezer the more moisture gets in, which is why freezers that are often used (think restauraunt freezers, or **** your own kitchen freezer) have lots of icicles and stuff hanging in them.

Basically, if you put your PC in the freezer, EVENTUALLY ice is going to form around the chassis, perhaps inside aswell, that may cause problems. Which is WHY I stated putting the PC in a contained apparatus which, preferablly, somewhat sealed and airtight would be the most effective solution, that way the amount of moisture actually solidifying is minimum because its the moisture thats in the apparatus (examples of the apparatus can be garbage bags, boxes with seals, huge freezer bags).

EDIT: Yeah sry FghtinIrshNvrDi I just read your posts :p You're logic is also correct here. Now, about you being a conservative, THATS A TOPIC TO BE DISCUSSED ELSEWHERE (like NEO NAZI AMERICA PERHAPS? :p im kidding, no body get angry here) haha

isnt it wierd though....think man......a vacuum sealed computer

no fans

nothing

I cant grasp it! Im compelled that it needs air! lol. its like trying to rub my head and pat my belly to me. i cant grasp it. it boggles my mind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom