Intel EE 955 Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see no reason why a woodcrest will not work in a desktop provided you get the right socket. The price could always be an issue but moore's law is indeed very interesting when applied to the multi cores

2 Cores @ 2.0Ghz
4 Cores @ 2.0Ghz
8 Cores @ 2.0Ghz
16 Cores @ 2.0Ghz
32 Cores @ 2.0Ghz
64 Cores @ 2.0Ghz
128 Cores @ 2.0Ghz

I see no reason why a woodcrest will not work in a desktop provided you get the right socket.
That's the problem, it will use a different socket, LGA-771 I believe.

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't all the new processors requiring new sockets

AM2 needs the Super 939 doesn't it
I'm also sure Intel Processors will use a new socket as well.

No, Conroe is still using LGA-775, but it will require a new chipset (how unusual for Intel :rolleyes: ) so current mobo's won't work.

Thats fine by the time I'm ready to upgrade there will be better processors out there than the Woodcrest but using a different chipset and socket isn't that bad just like there is nothing wrong in particular with socket 940.

well the max budget i have is 5000 and im definitely going to get the 7800GTX but i'll check out those new procs. i hope the socket stays the same for the conroes although it would be nice to have a higher fsb. the only prob i have with buying brand new things is that if they do have defects u can get majorly screwed.

chris

I highly advise you to wait if you have 5000 USD to spend. Get yourself a nice DX10 card and a Woodcrest or a other future processor.

Socket AM2 = 940 pins
Socket F = 1207 pins

You can't use existing Socket 940 CPU's on Socket AM2 motherboards though.

no its CDN currency but its pretty close to the USD now anyways. see toronto. ON :). about 4650 USD max. if i can save some then by all means i will

anyways i've been looking at the conroes and they look crazy. hopefully the price isnt the same :p but ya im gonna wait and see first and if by september they either arent out or they suck (which doesnt look like the case right now) i'll go with the 955

chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom