Finding/Editing boot.ini

Status
Not open for further replies.

insomniac41

Solid State Member
i need to edit the boot.ini to remove the option to boot to XP 64bit. Can someone assist me in this? Thanks

Well Warez Monster knows a shorter way but this is how i have done it. Start>Run>Cmd. When the comand window comes up get to the root fo the drive. cd.. usually works for that. When you are the root just type in edit boot.ini and that should do it.

if theres a faster way, please post. ive never done this before so all the help i can get is appreciated.

The boot.ini file is at the root of your harddrive usually at c:\. Go to control panel\ folder option\view select "show hidden files and folder" and uncheck "Hide protected operating system file" and you should see it.

Another way is right clicking on My Computer\properties\advanced tab and select startup and recovery setting tab. click the edit button and it should display the boot.ini file.

do you think you could post what the file is supposed to read for a single boot win xp home system?

i do realize i wont be able to use it directly, i just need a visiual.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

msconfig (boot.ini) or here

Bootini.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom