Intel EE 955 Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baez

Admin / Dev
Staff member
Anyone know anything about the new 955 intel procesor? I'm planning on buying one cuz according to cnet, tomshardware, extreme OC and a few others its better than the fx-60 not because of the actual processor but because of the 65nm tech. The fx-60 was better on games until they OC'd the 955 to high speeds. They said they were able to OC it to 4.2GHz on stock and 5.4 on water cooling. Has anyone done this with it? Just wanted to know if any home users have tried it.

if only intel and amd got together and made a 65nm 3.6GHz with 2GHz bus hypertransport with hyperthreading and dual-core. Ah if only... lol

Chris

Mother those are some high speeds 5.4GHZ!!!!!!!!!!

oh could you give us a link to the site that got it to 5.4ghz.

Sure! Here u go. The values range from 5.0 to 5.5GHz with extra cooling and up to 4.3GHz with just what intel gives u.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/presler_9.html

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116246 (these clocks r in the review underneath the product)

http://www.tgdaily.com/2005/12/27/intel_announces_pentium_ee_955/

personally, if i do end up getting this instead of the fx-60 (hardest choice of all) im going to use water cooling but only OC it to 4.6. anything higher scares the s**t out of me lol

Chris

sweet thx. ya it seems like u can really push this to the limit but which one do u think i should get?

chris

Honestly, neither :p I just think both the FX series and the EE chips are way overpriced for what you get.

By what you have said you are planning on overclocking. Why not just get something like an Opteron 165 and OC it to FX-60 speeds? Most are doing that easily and they are less than half the cost.

On the Intel side, the move to 65nm did give their dual cores a good boost, but it still lacks in some ways. However, if you do look at that thread I linked to, many of the 9xx series chips are going close to as far as the 955 and again are way less expensive.

BTW, those overclocks in those reviews are kind of lame. They OC'd by upping the multi only. The P-D's are fairly bandwidth starved and going big on FSB adds much more than just upping the multi. :rolleyes:

Edit: Example, here is a 930 at 4.6Ghz air cooled. Check the price of that compared to the 955.

http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/7323/4650preslerpi21lw.jpg

I wouldn't mind having a processor like that if it was free but yeah these new hard core intels seems like a great choice being so cheap but that quad core woodcrest caught my eye.

in one of the pics u gave they show them OCing the FSB to 1400 and the proc to 4.9. would that be a big difference compared to the 930 or no?

and quadcore!?!? when is that supposed to come out. seems like yesterday they introduced the duals lol. wow i only need to get this comp by sept so maybe i can wait. but i doubt it wil be out by then and plus, how many progs and games do u think will support 4 fricken procs lol :D

Chris

in one of the pics u gave they show them OCing the FSB to 1400 and the proc to 4.9. would that be a big difference compared to the 930 or no?
Well, that's higher CPU speed and more bandwidth, so yeah, there would definately be a difference.
and quadcore!?!? when is that supposed to come out. seems like yesterday they introduced the duals lol. wow i only need to get this comp by sept so maybe i can wait. but i doubt it wil be out by then and plus, how many progs and games do u think will support 4 fricken procs lol
The quad cores are the server chips, they won't be out for the desktop for some time. But, for the desktop, there are new chips from both AMD and Intel coming this summer. The new ones from Intel appear to be a very significant increase in performance over the current P-D chips. The change for AMD will add DDR2 support and higher HTT. If you can wait until this summer, I would wait and see how these new chips shake out.

If you want to search for more information, the new Intel chips are code named 'Conroe,' and the new AMD chips are linked to their new socket 'AM2.'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom