wooden case........

Status
Not open for further replies.

harry18

Daemon Poster
ok so im thinkin of mkin my own case woodenheres something i wipped up on rhino3d, im better at that then drawing ya see, the round thinks on top are 80mm blue led fans, and flap on the front, paint it black, and it should look modern and sleek and not wooden, but then i think well if im doing it in wood, it should look wooden, but computers are modern and sleek, i think a big wooden boox would look out of place, what do you think, any sugestion?

i've been thinking of this myself, actually. i would choose a nice dark wood with large, visible grains. then give it a nice stain and a good laquer. i think it'd look really nice. and yes, plenty of fans because wood insulates more than thin metal.

also, it'll probably make for a slightly quiet PC. be sure to keep us updated!

Finding highly figured wood from the same plank in the dimensions needed for a project like this is going to be difficult, and expensive. Your cheapest options are Ash (straight, even grain. Light in color), Bubinga (pink in color, but oxidizes to a reddish brown; spotted figure with an interlocking grain), or maybe Zebrawood (fantastic figure and coloring, straight-grain, and just a fantastic WOW factor - thin dark bands seperated by wider light bands with thinner lighter bands)

It'll still run you into the $100+ range for any of those, but those are your cheapest options for good, eye-catching wood, IMO. Check Ebay for planks in the dimensions that you'll need. Also consider stains if you don't want a lighter-colored box. Red stains are really classy, if they're muted and darker.

hmm thanks chaps, yea ill defanly go for a ash or oak, maby sapele, i dont want to use softer woods as it will get damged easy, so i expect ash, like oak but cheaper, ill have no prob making it, im good at woodings, and have my own workshop,
i like the design i showd ya, the 4 fans on top should make some pretty good coolin, what with heat rising and all, ahh well i gots to give it some thought, i just cant come up with a decent desin, that wont look dumb, ya know?

yea valid point, i was just thinking tho, ya know that lian li shell style case, i could go for something like that with some thin ply, maby cut it down to about 3mm, really bendy like but with thick sides should be strong but i could do pretty much any shape.....altho this is the complet oposite to the previous post, its a tough one

ok, im thinking some kind of nice sweeping cuve like above, but the jest of the desihg simple, and origanl, bugger im torn, do i go modern and sleek, or origanl and funky like that lian li shell think?

I'm partial to nice simple Red Oak pieces. It's not a great wood if weight is an issue, but since you're using wood, I guess that's not a problem. Red Oak with some nice "Golden Oak" Minwax stain and 2 or 3 coats of Minwax Satin poly will look astonishing.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom