Hot Hot Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eagleboy

In Runtime
Hey all - the other week I built my brother a new computer (Suprise suprise, his 800MHz P3 Dell running XP wasn't cutting it for his engineering programs anymore).

Build went great and über smooth, but when I went into the BIOS, the CPU was idling (in BIOS at startup) around 50-53C.

Now, that just seems ridiculously hot to me - I've never had issues with cooling other than my laptop (Hypersonic GX7 - 3.4 P4 HT EE, Idles @56C in Windows).

His board is: MSI 865PE NEO2-V, Socket 478.
Processor: Celeron D 340 Prescott 533MHz FSB - 2.93GHz (Retail)
RAM: 1gb Rosewill (2x512mb) PC3200
Video: Rosewill GeForce FX5200 128mb AGP8x

I used the stock Heatsink with the stock square of thermal compound on it - I've used it before in my budget machines without this problem before.

Any ideas? All fans work, heatsink is securely attached, etc.

Are you sure the heatsink is installed properly? Not much you can do if everything is installed properly than to RMA it.

Well, unfortunately my brother needed the computer at that moment - so I had to send it off with him right after building it. I won't be able to take a good look at it until March 11th, his spring break. I guess I should have also asked if you guys think it would be okay until then, operating at that high temp. I mean, it's below 60C - but it'll be at high temps for almost 3 weeks.

It'll help burn it in for overclocking...

I'm just trying to think of a benefit. I think it should be safe. Keep it near a window or something.

Ryan

Have him keep the side panel off for extra ventilation, might get a bit of dust but you can get a nice drop in temps by doing that. Heck, I used to keep the side panel off my case and point a small desk fan at my PC, I had 15 degrees lower temps from that. Probably not the greatest idea because of dust and magnets in the fans, but I never had a problem. (knock on wood)

my new socket T 3.0mhz idles at 51 i thought it was normal for this type of cpu
my socket 478 2.8 northwood idled at around 38
both with intel cpu cooler and arctic silver compound

thats a fairly acceptable temp.
especially since its taken from the bios.
get motherboard monitor or speed fan, and check temps in windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom