Woops, maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hednik

Baseband Member
I just ordered my new system I will build form New Egg and well I spent who knows how long researching lol. The mobo says it supports sats3.0g but I ordered a sata 150 drive and wasnt paying attention. Are sata 3.0 connections backwards compatible with sata 150 drive or am I going to have to use an ATA until I get another drive?

It is sata 3gb/s, and it is compatible with 1.5gb/s transfer rates. Just like USB.

Ah thanks! You learn something new everyday :) Everyone in this foums has been awesome in answering my questions. Last one i pormise, for now. Any suggestions for a fairly noob - proof write on putting my system together. I knwo what im doing for the most part just a backup if i have a brain fart and need something to print out before im putting it together?

I don't have any good guides, but I do have personal experience.

I built my first one with a cool mind. (Had to leave it for the first night as I couldn't get the motherboard in. :eek:) So have a cup of tea/coffee first.

Be very light with the CPU, match the arrow on the mobo socket with the arrow on the CPU, and let it drop in slowly.

Work out how to put the heatsink on before putting the mobo in the case and putting the thermal compound on.

Only use a rice sized grain of thermal compound.

Ram needs to be pushed in quite hard. (Check it is the right way round.)

Cheap cases cut - badly. You will not realise you are cut until you see blood, so keep looking out for it.

Dis charge static by touching a unpainted bit of a computer that is plugged into the mains. You don't really need to worry about static unless you are running around on carpet.

Take your time.

Don't expect it to boot first time as you will likley have missed something. (last time it was the power switch for me :eek:)

Make sure the last thing you connect is your PSU (into the wall at least). There are a lot of cords from the PSU that can be easy to forget. I had a 4-pin connector that went to my mobo in addition to the 24-pin one. I almost forgot about it. Same with the video card. If it's PCI-E then there probably is a 6-pin connector that goes to the PSU.

Try to keep things neat. Use plastic cable ties to keep them all bundled up and out of the way. Not only will it look better if you have a window, but your case will have better airflow and keep cooler.

Try to work on a wood floor so you dont build up a static charge.

You probably know this, but whatever you do, do not turn on the computer without the heatsink on the CPU. If you don't put it on, your CPU is ****ed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom