Gaming Hard Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffK91

In Runtime
Hi, I was wondering since I'm still a noob, what exactly is a gaming hard drive? I see most hard drives (including the one I bought) has 7200rpm and most gaming hard drives have 10,000rpm with considerbly less space. Just been wondering for awhile since if it is a significant part, I might consider buying one.

It'll improve load times pretty drasically. My opinion is that they aren't worth the price jump, but they are faster, and you will notice a difference. The idea is just to speed up the slowest part of the computer. WD Raptor is what you're looking for.

Ryan

Would you think adding another 160gb 7200rpm to the one I already purchased can help boost game loading time?

FghtinIrshNvrDi said:
It'll improve load times pretty drasically. My opinion is that they aren't worth the price jump, but they are faster, and you will notice a difference. The idea is just to speed up the slowest part of the computer. WD Raptor is what you're looking for.

Ryan

ya there not worth it but if you want your computer to load programs faster, then you should go with the WD raptor you will notice the difference.

the only difference a faster hard drive would make to actual gameplay is if the system was running out of RAM, and it had to use paging file. but if you have enough RAM, it shouldn't be a problem.

After reading everything in this thread, I'v come to the conclusion that you are either in possesion of a super fast processor and FSB, or that you unaware of these factors in your performance. If the former, stop reading now. If the latter, then the speed of the processor, in combination with the width of the FSB, will make a larger impact on your speed that the hard drive. 7200 RPM is all you need if everything else is tuned to the max.

wow where did he park that BUS? lol

basically you have all the points you need for your decision in this thread, in summary:
the Raptor is **** fast
it is **** expensive
will not increase actual gameplay unless like apokalipse stated
will MASSIVELY improve load times

personally i think it is worth it but thats because it suits the way i use my computer and i was prepared to forego a larger drive for the performance. if you are someone that stores hundreds of videos etc then you are far better off getting a large drive. if you are like me and care more for performance then get a Raptor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom