seagate, WD, or Maxtor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It really is if the disc gets a defect on it. It's not really so much of the companies fault as they are all great. I have used maxtor the most and they are great. I have seen great results with WD too. So it really doesn't matter, as long as you don't get one under 7200 rpms.

tech4hire can you please give me the exact model numbers of your maxtor hard disks?

tech4hire said:
I am in the group of people who have had many bad maxtor drives.
=========================================

Target can you please give me the exact model numbers of your maxtor hard disks?

Target said:
I have never had a Seagate or a Maxtor drive fail.

I hear great things about Seagate but I am running a maxtor and it has shown no problems thus far, and it's been about 6 years.

I have had a Maxtor 6Y080L0 crap out after 4 months... but they replaced it with the 120Gig model, so I'm happy now

so nobody here has had a prob with Seagate, but there have been dead Maxtors and a dead WD.
just shows Seagate is the best!

nar jk i just like seagates, you can't call WD bad for having one dead drive.

my preferance:
Seagate > WD -only by a small margin > something else > Maxtor > Quantum Fireball - just about everything said about these is that somebody has a dead one.

apokalipse said:
how much faster is ATA133 to ATA100? I don't think it would be that much.

I would rather i spend the extra money on an 8mb Cache as appose to trusting my data to a maxtor.

My maxtor in my second computer is the product of an RMA on a Quantium 40Gb @ 5400 RPM Hard drive that started acting very funny in Jan 03. When I got the replacement back, I immedately swapted in my house mates computer as I did not trust it.

I still do not trust that drive. Thank goodness that pc is only uses mainly for Net monitoring / DVDs / DivX / MP3 and my second iRO account.

Give me the first excuse, and i will palm it off to some one else.

SupraGuru said:
Def not Maxtor. I've had 4 go on me now. Though, I have some 10 year old seagates and WDs that still work flawlessly. :)

WoW! Sounds like you missed out of that bad batch of 3Gb hard drives that Seagate had in 1997.

digital_darknes said:
i bought the samsung 120gb 7200rpm silent seek from newegg and it is better than any other hard drive i have ever owned. Quiter, as well as faster.

We have started using Samsung Drives in our standard desktop. The reaon being is that they are about $15ex cheaper that the Seagates and still come with 3 year warranty.

Beware of maxtor

I loved Maxtor drives, that was up until my company bought 20 of them (we buy parts and i assemble and configure them) and 15 of the 20 were bad. And 3 of the replacements they sent us were also bad. And 2 of the 5 initial drives that we thought were OK, got put into PCs and eventually died and had to be replaced. We used their utility to check them and the drives could not even perform a basic test, we got error code R03, usually with the first 3 digits of the serial number preceeding the error code.

Maxtor of course replaced all the drives but that was one huge oversight by their quality control department. If they did it once it is bound to happen again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom