OCing ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

harry18

Daemon Poster
ok, so i want to OC my 1gb of geil ram, how do i do it, cos i mean you cant monitor its temp so how do i know when its peaked?, does anyone mind explaing how i overclock it, i looked in the bios and i can increas something for the ram, and the voltage. and whats a memory diveder, you all say thats there good to have, but how do i set one up.

also i cant oc past the 3.4ghz (600mhz oc), despiter the temp only being at about 30, it juust says oc failed is this because of the ram, cos i read in another thread that the cpu and ram oc togerther and if the ram peakes then the oc wont go anyfurther, even if it can?

thanks

oh yea i i downloaded prime95, how do i use it, do i just click on the start button, and leave my comp on for a while?

yes the memory overclocks with the cpu if a divider isn't used. the ram speed follows the FSB speed. you can try increasing the memory voltage or increasing the timings on the ram to stabilise it. overclock your pc to the highest point you can get to before you get this message, and run memtest86 for at least 3 passes to see if the memory is completely stable at this point.

ok, i dont know much about the ram, but what do good timings look like, what do they mean?

so if i put the memory voltage up, i should be able to oc the cpu more right?

not necessarily it depends on whether or not it was the ram holding you back. you have to be very careful when you overclock so to me it sounds like you need to research some more theory. perfect timings for DDR400 (PC3200) are considered to be 2-2-2-5. tell us what model that RAM is so that we can tell you what it should perform like at particular speeds so that you can set it. i can't post any more for the moment so maybe another forum member can help you. good luck

ok thanks.

the ram is this stuff......http://www.geil.com.tw/portal/product_400_t_b.php this stuff i belive

heres a bunch of crap i got from pc wizard, if it helps....
Manufacturer : GEIL
Part Number : CL3-4-4-DDR 400
Serial Number : Unspecified
Type : DDR-SDRAM PC3200 (200 MHz) - [DDR-400]
Size : 1024 MB (2 rows, 4 banks)
Module Buffered : No
Module Registered : No
Width : 64-bit
Error Correction Capability : No
Max. Burst Length : 8
Refresh : Reduced (.5x)7.8 µs, Self Refresh
Voltage : SSTL 2.5v
Manufacture : Week 24 of 2005
Supported Frequencies : 133 MHz, 166 MHz, 200 MHz
CAS Latency (tCL) : 2 clocks @133 MHz, 2.5 clocks @166 MHz, 3 clocks @200 MHz
RAS to CAS (tRCD) : 3 clocks @133 MHz, 3 clocks @166 MHz, 4 clocks @200 MHz
RAS Precharge (tRP) : 3 clocks @133 MHz, 3 clocks @166 MHz, 4 clocks @200 MHz
Cycle Time (tRAS) : 6 clocks @133 MHz, 7 clocks @166 MHz, 8 clocks @200 MHz

ok, cpuz says the following..........

ok so, so far i just did the auto OC so its on 20%, form 2.8ghz up to now 3.4, but it wont go any further.

voltage: 1.68v
fsb: 160mhz

temp is around 27-30'c

FSB:DRAM: 1:1
freq: 160mhz

cas latency: 3.0clocks
ras to cas delay: 4clocks
ras precharge: 4clocks
cycle time: 8clocks

not sure if thismeans much, but what would you recomend putting all the settings at to maximase my OCing?

on this
mobo

thanks

ok im confused, it says 1:1 ratio, i cant change that cos the cpu is locked, aww what do i do

ok so i set the fsb at 160mhz, voltage at 1.675v
the ram i put at 2.5v, and 266, the two setteings were 266 and 333

it booted up fine, so incresed the fsb to 170, put the voltage on auto, but no boot, where am i going wrong, i ran prim95 and it didnt pass the 47'c mark, on for 4 hrs, what should i do why can i oc any more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom