CMOS changed, now can't boot in windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry K

Fully Optimized
My friend changed, "something" in his CMOS settings. Now he can't boot into windows.

I told him to change it back ---hes not exactly sure what all he did.
I then told him to put in "safe, default setting" --- he did, still can't

I then said, boot up in Safe Mode --- he tried, the PC freezes... goes through safe mode start up process and stops

Any ideas on what to do or try?

My thoughts are to reformat --- well, I always think that because you will waste HOURS trying to figure it out - and my never figure out why the PC will not boot.

Thanks

What's the error that you friend is getting upon boot?
Has your friend tried removing the CMOS battery for about 10 seconds or so and then putting it back in?

-Mike

actually the procedure is:

unplug power cord.
take out battery.
set cmos jumper from 1+2 to 2+3 for 30 seconds.
set jumper back to normal at 1+2.
put battery back in.
plug power cord back.

maybe he messed with his advanced chipset features.

If you are going to take out the battery, you need to let it sit for 30 minutes so the memory will run out.

THANKS... I did not think of the battery issue.

Not sure if he gets the beeps, exact errors, etc. I will be visiting my friend (with the computer) and see whats going on. And try the few suggestions.

Thanks agian

see if he can run it safe mode with a command line and see which system file its pausing out on. If he has a new OS win2k+ have him run a repair on the OS...Also in the BIOS make sure the boot sequence is right and all the IDE devices are set to AUTO.

cmos

I'm the guy who screwed with the cmos and trashed the system.

I've unplugged the system for over an hour, rebooted and get the same screen, telling me to choose between a few safe modes, last know godd config and normal boot.
Choosing anyone of those is useless, the system locks and nothing else happens.

No beeps, not other sounds just dead screen.

Origianlly I went into the CMOS to change the temp settings and instead turned on defaults, saved and exited, from that point i've been down.

So any help is greatly appreciated
Mike

Factory defaults

If you can access the cmos than use this or someting similar and stop messing with it.
I hope you don't take the attached too serious,it's just a wakeup call.Try to remember how you got in this mess.
By the way your doing ok tonight,

:laughing:

Attachments

• 36.gif
    36.gif
    7.5 KB · Views: 37
it was a weird thing....
but I was able to fix it

when getting (trying) to boot up in safe mode, it ran through all the exe and always stoped at mup.exe
or sup.exe (forget which one)

Anyway, I did some searching and found a post about USB 2.0 causing the problems and/or the PCI cards with USB, etc. etc.

So unplugged the 2 USB cards/cables to the mother board and tried again.
No luck?????????

So I was checking things out on the mobo and noticed the battery was there... Crazy, we just bought the mobo late last year. Anyway, I took the battery out and replaced it.

What do you know... all works fine.
I did not replace the USB connectors-- forgot. (sorry Mike),
so Don't know if they were the cause or not

anyway.... that's the solution that worked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom