XP 64 and Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sisko

Solid State Member
if this subject has been covered, i apologise, and would appreciate a link if it has been. if not....

if possible i would please like some advice on these OS's. my new system will be arriving in the next few days and considering it has an amd 64 processor (x2 4200) i was wondering whether it was worth installing xp 64 if i was to see any benefits. i have also 'acquired' a copy of vista, but i don't know whether it is 64 bit compatible. i read somewhere it is both 64 bit and 32 bit compatible, but the source wasn't reliable and i am not really an expert.

my concern is, whenever microsoft initially release anything it is normally full of bugs and problems so i am sceptical of whether to try these new OS's or just install my xp home edition.

any advice would be appreciated.

thanks

thank you tyler. great link, very informative and i am much obliged. i think i will save up some cash and buy xp 64, i'm sure the support will come in handy if anything goes wrong. and would also put my mind at ease.

one other question though, if i may. in that link you say that, 64 bit uses more ram than 32 bit. my system only has 1gb ram. would this be sufficient?

thank you tyler. great link, very informative and i am much obliged. i think i will save up some cash and buy xp 64, i'm sure the support will come in handy if anything goes wrong. and would also put my mind at ease.

one other question though, if i may. in that link you say that, 64 bit uses more ram than 32 bit. my system only has 1gb ram. would this be sufficient?

1GB of RAM should be sufficent but since it is 64Bit more might help out. Not sure off hand if the processor is Dual Core or not. But more RAM couldnt hurt the system.

yeah, it is an athlon x2.

i`ve not received it yet (should be here tomorrow, can't wait), i just hope they have used one stick of 1gb ram so i can then just buy another 1gb stick.

Congrates but yes the 64 bit does use more ram because of the larger registers but 1GB is more than enough by todays standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom