I got Ethanol! Will that remove the gunk off my chipset!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
HAVOC2k5 said:
Have you ever cleaned an old thermal pad off of a CPU die or heatsink dude? It doesn't take just 6 seconds with alcohol. It takes a few minutes of loosing up and strubing to get all that stuff off. Plus then you are left with residue.

The arctic silver product gets the surfaces clean and spotless in under 20 seconds tops...

In my business on of the routine maintainence jobs I do on older systems that I service is removal of old paste and reapplication of AS5. On any CPU, along with completely cleaning the dusty nasty heatsinks & fans... So the more time I can save the better. I used to use alcohol.. it sucks... takes way too long.

If you've got all day... use your alcohol... i'll spend $12 freakin' dollars for the good stuff that will last me 20 to 30 times...

pffff... too expensive... right...

Although I agree with Havoc, it depends on how many times you're going to be cleaning these things. For some of the guys here, they'll build it once, MAYBE disassemble it once, and then they're done. Alcohol just isn't a justified $12. For others, they do this all day long, and like Havoc, will find themselves wanting a better solvent.

Ryan

Amen, but im just building one comp at the mo. will i use it to clean the chipset too? and put some of my AS5 on that as well as CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom