Java Runtime Environment??

Status
Not open for further replies.

fifreak3

In Runtime
I reformatted like 6 months ago and am pretty sure I never had anythings called "Java" on my computer before that (that was the first and only reformat I have done this far and this drive). However, I visited a website a few months ago and it said I had to download this thing called Java to view it. So I did, and now I have a Java icon in my Control Panel and these two entries in my add or remove programs window:

J2SE Runtime Enviroment 5.0 Update 4

and

J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6

I think they may have caused me to get a few viruses, but I am not sure as they have of course been deleted for some time.

So, to my question: What is this Java nonsense and can I get rid of it??

JAVA is a very usefull peice of software, without it you canot view most web sites that require it, and you may have a virus from downloading it depending on where you downloaded it from.

it is sun java console from sun microsystems, i like it because if there is a problem with java enabled web pages and iexplorer dont seem to display them, it fixes the prob. shoudlnt be the cause of any viruses, u should scan w an antivirus, adaware, spybot S&D

DOOM!!! he got to the response before me, wasnt anything on the page until i hit subit reply lol...haha

errr....ok so I guess I need to leave it on my system even though it was never there before the reformat?? Also, the little Java coffee cup icon will now randomly appear in the tray down by the clock.....(I forget what its called, the system tray maybe?)

Anyone? Why does the little Java cup appear and how do I make it stop? I don't want it using any resources that it doesn't need!

Just right click the icon and click hide.

As said though, alot of websites need java to display the page and most little online games i.e yahoo pool need java to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom