Windows Vista Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
British officials are concerned about encryption in Microsoft's forthcoming Windows Vista release, saying the technology could prevent law enforcement from reading suspects' computer files.

They claim certain new features within Vista,
while intended to do good, may actually set
back terrorism investigations.

The comments came as part of a larger House of Commons home affairs select committee meeting on holding terrorism suspects. Ross Anderson, professor of security engineering at Cambridge University, said, "from later this year, the encryption landscape is going to change with the release of Microsoft Vista."

Vista will come with a feature called BitLocker, which enables users to encrypt all the data on a system including the OS and boot sector.

The idea is to keep data on stolen laptops from being accessed, but it also means it will become "seriously difficult" to read encrypted information off the hard disk, says Anderson.

whats the difference between

-Windows Vista
-Windows Vista Business
-Windows Vista Business N
-Windows Vista Home Basic
-Windows Vista Home Basic N
-Windows Vista Home Premium
-Windows Vista Small Business
-Windows Vista Ultimate

i know the ones with N dont have media player because in Europe its a monopoly for microsoft to bundle media player with their os or something like that.

Europe seems too picky with their Windows N versions then you have the Linux problems with them where they said they broke copyright laws for having scroll bars on it and other petty issues.

btw is the scroll bar debate over in europe.

i think the media player thing is a bit picky, jeez. If you think media player is too much of a monopoly they should ban windows as well.

In my humble opinion, this whole topic is just so much hoo ha.

I would love to have an unfinished, overpriced, overprotected product that people (who my company has so thoroughly screwed in the past), talking so much about it.

PAHLEEZE! PEOPLE!

Other than "Eye candy", and the PRIVELEDGE of having the "Right" to pay for yet, more software, there is squat here!

The reason this hasn't been released yet is, THEY KNOW THIS! They don't like paying for a DEAD HORSE!

Trying to sell this product.........at three times the price.............with requirements that will ALSO COST MONEY, that you CANNOT fully utilize without spending EVEN MORE MONEY, is something that I, and my friends do NOT need.

Explaining this crap to them would be like trying to sell them on SLI, knowing full well the vast majority of people could care less.

If the "Evil Empire" was as intelligent as they want you to believe they are, they would have included something of value! I've been reading this thread for I don't know how long, there IS NO VALUE HERE! EXTORTION? YES! VALUE? NO!

They control the "Game". So, if you want to be "part of the game", you'll mortgage your house. Then, your kid's homes. Then, anything else they ask for.

But you know what? I'm wrong.

Yep, I said it.

I'm wrong.

Microsoft has such a grip on everything that is even remotely associated with computers, they will force everyone to conform.

I have little doubt that much of the reason virus' were so frequent, and have been tapering off, is part of a grand design. You sell S**T , not because there is no better way..........but, because you want to KEEP THE CATTLE COMING BACK TO THE TROUGH!

This is like me trying to sell you a better bridge. You can have it, but it's going to cost you. Why? Well...........reasons that noone can understand.........it's complicated. WITHOUT IT, however, you are NOT going to be able to buy new tires, as the concrete that we are planning to pour is..........not compatible with the design of the tires that ,(we have made sure), are being used on the roadway's today.

BTW, you MAY be able to "work around it" with your older tires for a while, but they will wear out.

Did we mention that WE sell tires that WILL be compatible?

....but, they require a special "core", or you won't be able to keep them properly inflated.

Others are going to try to take advantage of this. They will offer you some solution that will only make things worse.

DON'T WORRY! We, (Microsoft), are working on a remedy for this problem. (It will cost you 6 times as much though).

A word of caution however. DO NOT PUBLISH PHOTO'S OF ANY SOFTWARE, APPLICATIONS, IDEAS etc. That has ANY remote implication concerning the profits of MICROSOFT!!! You, by even reading this, agree that YOU will adhere to this. If you do NOT agree, STOP READING! (If you read that, you're too late)

Please, do NOT try to "stand up for any rights that you IMAGINE you have!) Should you do this, you will be severely punished, above and beyond the punishment we have already inflicted..........and plan to inflict on you and yours.

I see Corey thanks for clearing that up... I understand now.

No Mikee I dont' think any Beta is safe for anyone to use recall "MS Anti-Spyware" The first beta, it deleted Norton Products rendering systems open to attack hurting a few businesses who deployed a beta in a work envirorment.

Vista February CTP

Bets Are on Build No. 5308: While Microsoft officials had told its core of elite beta testers to expect the next Windows Vista milestone on Tuesday, February 21, it now looks as Microsoft is now planning on delivering the code later in the week.

Our sources are saying Vista Build 5308 will likely be christened the February Community Technology Preview (CTP).

It's now sounding like testers will be able to start playing with that build on Friday or Saturday. Microsoft, for its part, isn't talking publicly about its CTP plans, other than to maintain the next test build will be ready in this calendar quarter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom