AMD 3000 vs 2.4 HT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dutch

Baseband Member
Im just about to upgrade my computer and am curious as to what is the better processor. This will be used mostly for burning media and gaming. Im having a hard time deciding between these 2. How much FSB can i actually use? I have 512 pc 3200 right now and I will prob add another in about a month. Anyway what would you get for a mobo and processor? Im looking to spend about 150-170 for the cpu. Thanks

If I were you, I would get the Athlon 3000, it's not only cheaper but it's proven to perform better in gaming and media just as you want. Just to let you know, your ram is capable of 400mhz FSB. This means it will run at 400mhz FSB IF you have a 400mhz FSB processor. If you get the Barton 3000+ your ram will only run at 333Mhz because the 3000+ is only 333mhz FSB. There is a few 3000+'s out their with 400mhz FSB, but i have rarely seen them and when I do there on ebay and go for around 200 bucks.

A gig of ram is pretty much a waste of 500+ mb's of ram because you'll never use it unless your a multitasker. You should think about waiting on the upgrade until you get the money for the ram, and intead of buying the 512 ram that you most likely wont need anytime in the next 6 months, put it towards the 215$ 400mhz FSB 3200+, then you can run your ram at optimal speeds instead of having all that extra ram for nothing. If you decide to go with AMD as I have advised, i would recommend the m7ncd pro motherboard from newegg, its only 64 bucks and supports all the latest features including dual 400mhz ram so when the time comes that you actually need a whole gig of ram, you can buy a pair of 256 400mhz dual channel sticks, because with a good vid card, the 3200, dual ram and the mobo to support it all, you will be a happy happy gamer. The reason i recommend all this, is because I have the same setup (with only 512mb of dual 2x256mb ram) and I run every new or popular game flawlessly with no lag.

This is not advice from a professional pc builder, but merley a gamer that wants other gamers to be able to play games! GAMES RULE WOOOOOO!! cant wait for half life 2 :p

There are similar threads all over the forum ... just run a search ..n' u'll find an answer

I guess the mods should make such posts sticky .... :)

n' personally ...i would go AMD

Your absolutly right, that one does have 400mhz FSB. You know your lucky to find that particular one for so cheap, when I was looking for a processor when i was upgrading I wanted that exact chip but couldnt find one anywhere but on ebay. The reason I stated their are 333mhz FSB is because generally all of them are.

But yes sir, that's a nice chip and a very good deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom