Windows xp problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

flgthumb

Solid State Member
I have a laptop with xp sp2 on it. I started to have problems with the display, not sure yet if it is hardware, or software. I took the hard drive out of it and put it into a external harddrive case to remove the files i wanted before trying to restore. When I find the documents and settings. All of the ones for the administrator(on the laptop drive) are missing. I get a message that says you do not have authorization to access these, or something like that. I can vew and copy or what ever files are on the other accounts that were on the laptop drive. I am wondering, did my files possibly get erased, or because i was the administrator on the laptop, it could only be viewed on the laptop(if i could see it that is) Is there a way i can get to see and copy these files through the external hardrive. Hope someone can help

nope, the only way to get the files out are to put it back in. along came with sp2 was security measures that does not let you acces to those files unless it is in the system that put them there, now i could be wrong but in the past i have not had any success in getting files out of any user account on there. PLZ if someone know let me know as well.

go into safe mode and change the permission of the files or use a linux boot cd and copy and paste the files out of those folders

Thank You for your reply.
When you mention going into the safety mode. would that need to be on the laptop(the drive i am trying to get the files off-and doesn''t work currently in the laptop-cant see the screen) or can i do that having it in the external drive and connected to my desktop computer
Thanks

Can you view the ACL's for the Folders/Files on the External ?

Check the owner tab and the security tab... Tell me what they say.

bradybnmci said:
Can you view the ACL's for the Folders/Files on the External ?

Check the owner tab and the security tab... Tell me what they say.

Sorry it's been a while was out of country for 2 weeks and been a while getting back into swing of things.

Just a newby here, but i have to ask what does ACL'S stand for. I'll try to work on this thing again tonight now with some time.

Warez Monster said:
access control list

I have tried to access that.
I clicked owner and then sharing and security I tried to change the read only by unchecking it and also tried to change the network settings to allow it to be shared. I did some how get the first page of folders to open which shows the program files, my documents and others, I tried to so the same to the my documents as that is what i am interested in and havent had any luck. Any ideas or suggestions????????
Thank You

I've discovered how to actually get to the access control lists, but cant get it still. I'm not quite sure how to change ownership of the files. Right now it has special permissions and am not sure wether to change the child relationships in the files also, been reading about it. and also who to give ownership to

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom