New Motherboard = New Windows License

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Microsoft recently made a change to the licence agreement saying that a new motherboard is equal to a new computer, hence you need to purchase a new Windows licence.

Here is what Microsoft has to say:

"An upgrade of the motherboard is considered to result in a "new personal computer" to which Microsoft® OEM operating system software cannot be transferred from another computer. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created and the license of new operating system software is required."

The reason Microsoft gave for this term is that "Microsoft needed to have one base component "left standing" that would still define that original PC. Since the motherboard contains the CPU and is the "heart and soul" of the PC, when the motherboard is replaced (for reasons other than defect) a new PC is essentially created."

Microsoft sent a memo to its OEM partners asking them to enforce this new policy, every time they upgrade a computer for a client.

its bullshat that is. dont they make enough money as it is? why not go ahead with that idea to allow pirated copies of xp to be authentic by paying a small amount of money for a valid product key?? how bout dropping the prices of their o/s and more people with want to buy it, find the happy/medium point. its certainly not at the moment and this new license for new motherboard is just crazy!

somebody need to bring out a new os, that isn't complicated (like linux is). I'd switch in a heartbeat

I'll agree that some of MS's policies are questionable and Linux isn't for everyone still can't get sound to work in it properly.

I'm not surprised; Today I had swaped a an optical drive and added a hard drive,and behold, a message informing me my operating system was disabled, I was just forced to replace my previous mother,cpu and video card due to a bad power scource consequently the operating system as well, cost $130; I had to reactivate my Op by calling in, seems retarded.

So, now........if I replace the mobo in the e-machines that's been sitting around......even with an EXACT replacement...........I can no longer use the restore c.d.'s that came with it. WTF!:angry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom