static & hard drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

C_Adrius

Beta member
Hello everyone ! first time post-er,

i just found this forum through google,

question/scenario:

first time building an external HDd, and decided to try because I heard its worth the building experience.

Anways, I was putting the hd to the cable, and i needed some leverage, so i put the hd towards my chest. I realized i was wearing a shirt that may produce static so i took it off. the hd came in contact with my clothes several times..

i know big mistake right?

just a precaution b4, i grounded myself by touching my dorm fridge, and i was wearing an anti-static bracelet that was grounded on the back of the dorm fridge. (weird i know, but seems like a good ground).

anyways question : i grounded myself often, touching a metal surface(may be painted, not too sure), in addition to wearing the anti-static bracelet. I didn't move around much if any, except to pivot my upper bod.

is my hdd in danger? since it came in contact with my clothes? i keep telling myself its probably fine since i grounded my body and i was wearing an anti-static bracelet. i was hoping any static from my clothes would be grounded from my grounding activities ~ i don't really know the dynamics of static movement..[/I.

static damage seems to be pretty rare. plus you were grounded.

plug in your drive and run it. that's how you tell if it works or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom