CPU Thermal Paste ... How Much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put a little bead on the middle of the CPU, about the size of a grain of rice (according to AS5's instructions). The Heatsink you put on should spread out the paste to cover the CPU.

Is it necessary to clean the heatsink before you apply the paste? Will And if so will metholated spirits work ok?

You only need to clean it if it has been used before. In which case you can use either 91% isopropyl alcohol, or you can use Arcti Clean. I find that Arcti Clean works the best. It's cheap and you can get it off newegg.

I use arcti clean myself.

For applying the paste, literally put a drop about the size of a grain of rice on it. Then push the heatsink down on top of it, which should spread the paste out. Then lock the heatsink into place and you are good to go.

It depends on which type you have. Artic Silver only needs a BB size drop while other types like Epoxy require covering most of the chip.

Arctic clean is not cheap.. It is like 15$ off Newegg... Alchohol is like 2$ at Wal-Mart...

use something soft to wipe it off tho...paper towels and such could scratch it....it's really nothing to be too worried about...but smoother the surface, the better contact it will make with the heatsink. i usually use those flat cotton thingies that women use to remove makeup....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom