PC wont boot AND wont load any bios..

Status
Not open for further replies.

adragland

Baseband Member
here is the deal. installed a new harddrive on a friends computer. installed the OS onthe new HDD and it wouldnt boot. wellllll i went and put back in the old HDD and now it wont boot that one either but what is worse is that the bios wont load either. i reset the bios by taking out the CMOS battery. even switching the jumpers. it reset my bios but it just wont load my bios menu. when i turn the pc on it tells me i need to set time and date in the bios ..no big deal since i just reset it. however, when i hit delete to load the bio..it claims its "loading setup" but it never does. i let it sit for hours and it never loads the bios. its like its frozen. anyone have any suggestions on what i can do? i would be happy if i can just get the old configuration working so he can have a computer

What jumpers did you mess with. Was it a bios reset jumper?What is the system specs? It sounds like the Bios is toast.Try to go to the web site of the motherboard manfg,and get a bios and make a BIOS image on floppy and reflash the BIOS. There should be instructions on how to do this.

I agree with what sPlAtOiD suggests.

If you want to try some simpler things, unplug all devices (that includes cd rom drives, harddrives, take out any PCI cards like sound, modem etc) and try getting into BIOS again. It may be hanging on a device.

thanks i will try to do that..im not exactly sure how to flash the bios if it wont even let me be able to get past it saying "Loading Setup"

alright new update**

i downloaded the bios flash and put it on a floppy disk. only problem is the computer wont boot the disk because it wants me to go into bios first. all it will allow me to do it hit delete to enter setup..but like i said bios isnt working. so the problem is..how can i get past the bios to boot the diskette if the bios isnt working? is there something i can do to bypass that and go straight to dos?

Hit 'DEL" key immediately after you power-on.
You should get the ' Big Blue' screen' menu.
Do you get that far ? If so, set the Fpp as the first boot device.
* You don't want to "Flash" unless its a last resort.

no that didnt work..that just tries to take me to the bios screen (which isnt working) and just freezes on a screen that says "Loading Menu"

OK......
Freeze-up..... That may indicate a memory problem.
How many sticks of memory are you using?
If more than one...... just try to POST with one stick.
* List all system components..... otherwise we are working in the dark.

It seems to me your bios is corrupt in some form or another, or possibly your CMOS battery is dying...so you can either replace your cmos battery and hope that fixes the problem, or you need to buy a spare bios chip and do a bit of modding/hot flashing

If you want the easy and expensive way out, you can just buy a new board

yes my CMOS battery is dying it does say its low but i didnt think that would be a problem as long as the MB is getting power

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom