Got my 2.66P4 up to 3.14 ghz and still stable!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok i shall, i will se you in 12 hours, well you probly wount be up at 2am easter north american time but any who, im off to the testing :)

No problem. BTW, when you overclock you should test your cpu and ram seperately. What I mean by this is to test you cpu alone set the ram to the lowest and jack up the fsb.

Example: FSB & RAM @ 200MHz each. Set the ram to 100MHz and keep the fsb at 200. Now start jacking the FSB up, lets say you get it to 225 now the ram will be running at 125MHz (75 less than stock speeds so there should be no reason for it to error out). At this point where ever the computer errors out you know it's the CPU and not the ram. So say your CPU's fsb can only go up to 260. Then you set the ram and the CPU's fsb back at 200MHz and start increasing the FSB. If you start getting errors at say 240MHz then you know it's the ram. That when you either bump uip the voltage, loosen the timings or run a ram divider and put the ram speed at like 166MHz.

reggie_da_man said:
No problem. BTW, when you overclock you should test your cpu and ram seperately. What I mean by this is to test you cpu alone set the ram to the lowest and jack up the fsb.

Example: FSB & RAM @ 200MHz each. Set the ram to 100MHz and keep the fsb at 200. Now start jacking the FSB up, lets say you get it to 225 now the ram will be running at 125MHz (75 less than stock speeds so there should be no reason for it to error out). At this point where ever the computer errors out you know it's the CPU and not the ram. So say your CPU's fsb can only go up to 260. Then you set the ram and the CPU's fsb back at 200MHz and start increasing the FSB. If you start getting errors at say 240MHz then you know it's the ram. That when you either bump uip the voltage, loosen the timings or run a ram divider and put the ram speed at like 166MHz.

can you break this down a little more? just tell me where to go to test each one, i know what your talking about just not were to go

so to test my cpu the most i should put the fsb on the ram low? and to test the RAM i should do that vice versa?

You kind of got it. Ok I'll break it down into little steps and use numbers and frequencies according to your system.

1. Set the ram speed to 66MHz and keep the FSB at 133MHz.

2. Overclock it back to 3.14GHz using the same voltage and FSB (157) while keeping the ram at 66MHz.

3. At this point you will have raised your FSB to 157MHz and you ram will now be running at 90MHz (66+24=90).

4. Now you must start raising the FSB slowly to test the stability or you CPU and where it maxes out.

5. Find out the CPU's max FSB setting along with the voltage your using and write it down.

6. Put you ram back to stock speeds (133MHz) and you CPU FSB 157.

7. Raise the FSB slowly until you start getting errors.

8. Now you know at what maximum operating speed your ram is capable of running at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom